News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2007-06-11, 11:04:24
My last buy : Transatlantic Live in Europe 2 CD-2 DVD special edition boxset.

I consider it the ultimate luxury for a prog fan and this is freaking AWESOME  *horns*

You're soo right about that one, Bupie. It's one of the best live Dvd's i've ever seen. And where i've been to.  ;D

[Mike-mode]Nothing but epics, nothing but f***ing epics.  *horns*[/mike-mode-off]  ;D

Quote from: BupieBy the way, I have never tried to get into the Flower Kings so far. Do they sound like Transatlantic a bit ? I ask the question because Transatlantic doesn't remind me neither of DT, Marillion or Spock's Beard (well, maybe Spock's Beard a little but I find Transatlantic much more inspired) so I am wondering whether the Flower Kings' music has more similarities with Transatlantic ?

Comparisons suck but take a bit of the old Genesis and mix it with Yes and you'll end up with a touch of the Flower Kings. I deliberately say 'touch' because although they have Genesis/Yes influences they do have a sound of their own. First heard of them in 1998 and bought everything ever since. Personally i'm not really impressed by Roine's guitar sound on Transatlantic but with the Flower Kings he really does impress me.  8)

You definitely should give them a try. Especially FlowerPower* and Stardust We Are are jewels.  *horns*

*FlowerPower holds one of the best epics ever written: Garden Of Dreams. Thankfully not too long. Only 59 minutes.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Ok, I've made an order and soon the CDs will be delivered to my home! ;D

Happy The Man - The Muse Awakens
RPWL - The World Through My Eyes (Special Edition)
The Jelly Jam - The Jelly Jam
Solar - Dark Places
Kaipa - Angling Feelings
The Tangent - The World That We Drive Through (Special Edition)
Neal Morse - Testimony Live (2 DVD)

That was through InsideOut.

And I also bought (through soundoo.com) the following:
Bjorn Lynne - The Gods Awaken
Bjorn Lynne - Return To Witchwood

I have to stock a bloody lot of shelves in my supermarket to get to a reasonable bank account again...

Bupie

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2007-06-11, 21:59:31
You're soo right about that one, Bupie. It's one of the best live Dvd's i've ever seen. And where i've been to.  ;D

[Mike-mode]Nothing but epics, nothing but f***ing epics.  *horns*[/mike-mode-off]  ;D

Comparisons suck but take a bit of the old Genesis and mix it with Yes and you'll end up with a touch of the Flower Kings. I deliberately say 'touch' because although they have Genesis/Yes influences they do have a sound of their own. First heard of them in 1998 and bought everything ever since. Personally i'm not really impressed by Roine's guitar sound on Transatlantic but with the Flower Kings he really does impress me.  8)

You definitely should give them a try. Especially FlowerPower* and Stardust We Are are jewels.  *horns*

*FlowerPower holds one of the best epics ever written: Garden Of Dreams. Thankfully not too long. Only 59 minutes.  ;D

You saw them ? God, I envy you ... Where was it ?

Thanks for the advice on the Flower Kings : I am going to check those albums  ;)

maddox

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2007-06-12, 09:01:06
You saw them ? God, I envy you ... Where was it ?

Thanks for the advice on the Flower Kings : I am going to check those albums  ;)

I saw Transatlantic in 013 in Tilburg, The Netherlands. The DVD was recorded there. It was one of those moments in life where you can proudly say 'i was there'.  *horns*

keyboardistmatt

I recently got hold of ERIK NORLANDER "Music Machine" on CD.  It's very good.  Rick Wakeman even put a few comments in the sleeve for it. :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Peter

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Thu, 2007-06-21, 15:19:56
I recently got hold of ERIK NORLANDER "Music Machine" on CD.  It's very good.  Rick Wakeman even put a few comments in the sleeve for it. :)

He might be a good keyboarder, but he's being frowned upon by quite a few for the "Arjen thingie", a few years ago.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

maddox

Today i ordered the debut album of 'supergroup' Amaran's Plight called Voice In The Light.

It's a project by Gary Wehrkamp (shadow gallery), DC Cooper (ex-royal hunt), Nick D'virgilio (spocks beard) and Kurt Barabas (no, i never heard of him either but it seems he use to play in a band called Under The Sun to name one).

Am very curious. Heard some bits and i like it thusfar though i never was a fan of DC's singing capabilities.  :-\

PH

Impulsive as I am, I bought Satellite's Evening Games through Bol.com.
Just one CD this time...

And I probably have to wait 4-6 weeks for it. But that doesn't matter.

JJ II

I think I'm going out somewhere this week to buy the new McCartney....

maddox

Lately i bought the new Symphony X album called Paradise Lost and i also bought the new album of ehm...Paradise Lost.  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2007-07-12, 22:03:54
Lately i bought the new Symphony X album called Paradise Lost and i also bought the new album of ehm...Paradise Lost.  ;D

And how about the original book by Milton, Maddox?

What's the group PL up to nowadays?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2007-06-25, 10:36:11
Impulsive as I am, I bought Satellite's Evening Games through Bol.com.
Just one CD this time...

And I probably have to wait 4-6 weeks for it. But that doesn't matter.

The great thing about not having a credit card is that you really get to wait for your presents. It's like Advent all through the year.  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-07-12, 22:18:05
And how about the original book by Milton, Maddox?

What's the group PL up to nowadays?

Nicky.

They're back in form. The new album called IN REQUIEM is reaching back to the old days like Draconian Times and Icon for instance. The last few albums were not very good to say the least but i really like this one.

Oh and  maybe a stupid question ( ::)) but who is Milton? An author i presume?  ???

Or is this just one of your fancy jokes? :D

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2007-07-12, 22:21:54
Or is this just one of your fancy jokes? :D

Time to do some image repair, I guess.

> Oh and  maybe a stupid question ( ::))

Won't comment that.

> but who is Milton? An author i presume?  ???

John Milton was an English poet (1608-74). Pretty famous guy. Wrote the epic poem Paradise Lost. Proggies and classical literature?...!... (I guess I ended up commenting somehow)  ;D

> They're back in form. The new album called IN REQUIEM is reaching back to the old days like Draconian Times and Icon for instance. The last few albums were not very good to say the least but i really like this one.

Great to hear. My fiancée was a big fan of the group some years back. Might get the new album as a birthday present (don't tell her).

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-07-12, 22:32:00Pretty famous guy.
A very subtle way to make Maddox feel stupid! Hahaha I love it!

maddox

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-07-12, 22:49:38
A very subtle way to make Maddox feel stupid! Hahaha I love it!

Hmm, no. Can't say i do. [/shrug]

Teunis

Just ordered two cd's:
Buggles - The Age Of Plastic
Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky (remastered 2006 version with bonus tracks)

Once I had lp's of these albums, never bought the cd's. Until now  ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Ahem...

I have received today "Transatlantic - Live In Europe DVD".
But "Bjorn Lynne - The Gods Awaken", "Bjorn Lynne - Return To Witchwood" and "Satellite - Evening Games" haven't arrived yet.

Appelmoes??

The Prestige
Perfume
Ice Age 2

I still have to watch Perfume though, the other two are great :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Nicky007

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2007-07-18, 18:12:37
I still have to watch Perfume though, the other two are great :)

A.O. Scott, the leading film critic of the New York Times, calls Perfume the worst cinema film of 2006. He writes i.a.:

Mr. Tykwer's [the director] method is one of stupefying literalism. Exploiting the lush, lurid tones of Frank Griebe's cinematography, he rubs our noses in Grenouille's [the protagonist] world by assaulting our eyes with what he smells. Thus the camera lingers on rotting fish, on animal skins at the tannery where Grenouille serves an early apprenticeship, and then on the lissome ladies who become his victims. But the only smell produced by these long, breathy close-ups is a metaphorical one, a foul, stale odor traceable back to the movie itself.

Sounds delicious, doesn't it?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2007-07-18, 18:12:37
The Prestige

Bought that one too last weekend. Haven't seen it yet so sst.  ;)

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2007-07-18, 12:47:23
Ahem...

I have received today "Transatlantic - Live In Europe DVD".

You'll have a great time watching it, I promise you  *horns*

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2007-07-19, 10:19:43You'll have a great time watching it, I promise you  *horns*

Yeah indeed!
It's brilliant! I've seen the DVD up till the beginning of the Suite Charlotte Pike Medley.
But then my parents came in the room and I had to turn "that noise" off.

It's hard to live in this world when you're a progger. :'(

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-07-19, 10:32:59

But then my parents came in the room and I had to turn "that noise" off.

It's hard to live in this world when you're a progger. :'(

It's a good lesson to learn so I guess that when you have kids, you'll be more tolerant with the music they like.

I listen to some prog with my two sons (5 and 9 years old) and they don't complain. They even headbang to Pull me Under and love those "Jesus choirs" on Opera Fanatica. The little one wants me to take him to a DT gig but he's definitively to young to become deaf ...

maddox

I recently came across a Myspace site of a band that really blew my socks off. The band's name is Apple Pie and obviously I've never heard from them but from what i heard, four songs, i was really convinced. To me it was the missing link between Dream Theater and Spocks Beard, two bands i truly like.

The only problem was that the band, coming from Kursk in Russia, was really unknown so the only way i could find to order their album was to pay and download it. Obviously i didn't do that since i want the 'real thing'. By chance a good friend from another forum found a site where i could buy the album, the real album that is, no downloading soo...

To make a long story short: Just ordered the album of Apple Pie called Crossroads.  ;)

Look here for more info if you're interested. Trust me, it'll be worth it.  ;)