News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonloop

Just started JV Jones "Cavern of Black Ice". Impressive so far.  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Appelmoes??

Honourable Enemy from Feist (at least I think that the english title)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Xanxtuary

Just about to start the Half Blood Prince (yeh, OK, so it's predictable)

My boss bought it when it came out and read it during the weekend, so he's brought it into work for me to read now.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

creme anglais

big thanks to J.k.............Chaz (10 1/2) is begging for bedtime at the mo cos of the Half Blood Prince....... should be able to hand it over to his old mum in a day or two!!!

one more to go..............

CAx

keyboardistmatt

PET SHOP BOYS - "It's A Sin"
from the album 'Actually'

Peter... looking at this the next day, I do realise that this post is actually in the wrong thread...

I wonder if you'd move it to the NOW PLAYING THREAD...?

Ta! ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Moonloop

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Tue, 2005-07-19, 22:06:28
Just about to start the Half Blood Prince (yeh, OK, so it's predictable)

My boss bought it when it came out and read it during the weekend, so he's brought it into work for me to read now.

I'll be joining the stampede for the paperback in around 12 months time  :D

Peter

After finishing 6 thick books from the "Song of Ice & Fire" series by Goerge R. R. Martin (part 7 out in November or something) I now started 4-book-series "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" by Tad Williams. Fine reading, really...!
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Deenfan

Finished with "The masked rider", now starting "Ghost rider"

both by Neil Peart. :)

Moonloop

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-07-20, 09:23:26
After finishing 6 thick books from the "Song of Ice & Fire" series by Goerge R. R. Martin (part 7 out in November or something)

Hate to be picky, but sometimes I just can't help it  ;)

There are technically only 3 books in the "Songs of Fire & Ice" series :

1. A Game of Thrones
2. A Clash of Kings
3. A Storm of Swords

In some territories however. book 3 was split into 2 volumes, hence 4 books. If you claim to have read 6 books then maybe the publishers have split the first two and reissued them as it has been over 5 years since the last book and they must be getting desperate for some cash..!!

Interestingly, the "4th" book, "A Feast for Crows" is also being split into 2 volumes as he STILL hasn't finished it  ::)

Great, great series though.....

;D

Peter

OK, I correct myself to "... 6 thick books from the German version of..."
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

ravenheart

I just recently finished "Last Chance To See" by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwadine

Now finishing off the last few chapters of Iron Maiden's "Run To The Hills" before wading into "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins.

Xanxtuary

Finished Harry Potter earlier on this week.  I was very sad at the end.

Now back to my Julia Grey series ... just started The Crystal Desert, so far excellent, although there's a yukky bit about a custom of the nomadic desert travelling tribes ... a newborn baby is bathed in camel urine and rubbed down with salt, as a sort of birth ritual!  Not very pleasant thought whilst munching a sandwich at lunchtime!
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Moonloop

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-07-19, 08:29:34
Just started JV Jones "Cavern of Black Ice". Impressive so far.  ;D

...and very good it was too. Now onto Book 2 "A Fortress of Grey Ice"  8)

kmorse

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sat, 2005-07-30, 13:48:22
... a newborn baby is bathed in camel urine and rubbed down with salt ..

it toughens up the skin. best to start early on that if you live in the desert
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Deenfan

Just started on Neil Peart's "Travelling music". :)

Emilia

I'm currently re-reading some UK LeGuin books that I 've had for a couple of years...by the way she is my no 1 writer, and I just wanted to refresh.
So now I'm somewhere in the middle of the book which is a colection of short s/f stories  "A Fisherman of the Inland Sea" by Harper. (1994) My favourite ones in this collection are "The Shobies' Story" (an experimental faster-than-light ship is about to embark on its first test run with a real crew on board and nobody, even the ones who constructed it, knows what the real risks are... ) and "The Rock That Changed Things" (about a community where women slaves are used to recreate a kind of ritual stone patterns whose meaning they are not supposed to know untill one day.....)
Has anyone here ever read anything by LeGuin? I do not supose any of the guys did 'cos a bit female perspective may seem discouraging but who knows? ;)
Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

oddball

I actually did read the original Earthsea cycle and I liked it. But then, I always used to be a feminist :)
At the moment I'm reading All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson. Not much of a plot but he's got style. 
There's really nothing to achieve

erik

Quote from: Emilia on Fri, 2005-08-12, 13:50:01
I'm currently re-reading some UK LeGuin books that I 've had for a couple of years...by the way she is my no 1 writer, and I just wanted to refresh.
So now I'm somewhere in the middle of the book which is a colection of short s/f stories  "A Fisherman of the Inland Sea" by Harper. (1994) My favourite ones in this collection are "The Shobies' Story" (an experimental faster-than-light ship is about to embark on its first test run with a real crew on board and nobody, even the ones who constructed it, knows what the real risks are... ) and "The Rock That Changed Things" (about a community where women slaves are used to recreate a kind of ritual stone patterns whose meaning they are not supposed to know untill one day.....)
Has anyone here ever read anything by LeGuin? I do not supose any of the guys did 'cos a bit female perspective may seem discouraging but who knows? ;)
Emilia

I've read The Dispossesed by Le Guin which I liked and I have the Eartsea Trilogy, but still haven't read it!

Currently finishing The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro, a very strange and intriguing book.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Emilia

<I've read The Dispossesed by Le Guin which I liked and I have the Eartsea Trilogy, but still haven't read it!>
Earthsea Trilogy is my favourite by LeGuin! Especially "The Fathest Shore" - really worth giving a try (especially if you like this kind of books, very classical, not typical s/f).
<Currently finishing The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro, a very strange and intriguing book.>
Never heard of that guy! What kind of books does he write?
Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Clive

Actually, Earthsea has been a favourite of mine for years.
It has probably influenced more than one set of lyrics.... :)

Appelmoes??

NR-> Wheel of Time (it is called in English I think...). First book The eye of the world. Pretty dull up to now, but the little hints given are promissing :)

My drawings on MySpace

erik

Quote from: Emilia on Tue, 2005-08-16, 15:53:06
Earthsea Trilogy is my favourite by LeGuin! Especially "The Fathest Shore" - really worth giving a try (especially if you like this kind of books, very classical, not typical s/f).
<Currently finishing The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro, a very strange and intriguing book.>
Never heard of that guy! What kind of books does he write?
Emilia

Came upon Ishiguro through the movie The Remains Of The Day, he wrote the book of the same title which won the Booker Prize. Isn't SF/fantasy-related, The Unconsoled could be called surrealistic though.

I will definitely read Earthsea sometime, it's already on my shelves, but so much to read, so little time..  :-\

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2005-08-16, 17:24:52
NR-> Wheel of Time (it is called in English I think...). First book The eye of the world. Pretty dull up to now, but the little hints given are promissing :)
Robert Jordan... Still haven't ventured into Wheel Of Time, that series just seems to be endless...

Switching from reading to writing, Clive, how's A Curious Gift coming along?
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Clive

It's been a bit stuck for a while.... :( Not enough time, though I hope to work on it during the tour.
The title has changed, as have a few character names...

Moonloop

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2005-08-16, 17:24:52

Just my 2p worth, but Jordon's "Wheel of Time" starts off fairly readable and gradually degenerates into Sci-Fi's biggest bore-fest. It's almost as if, around book 3, he didn't really know what to do with the series and just kept writing, looking for inspiration and sticking with a series which (staggeringly) continues to sell, rather than start something new and fresh. Unless you REALLY have time to spare, I wouldn't recommend reading anything after book 1, it's just not worth it as the series just meanders on and on and there are SO many good authors to check out instead.  :)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Moonloop on Wed, 2005-08-17, 08:40:30
Just my 2p [...] check out instead.  :)
Hmm, my girlfriend was very positive about the books. I'll just read and see what happens :)

My drawings on MySpace