News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Any "Lana Lane" fans out there..??

Started by Moonloop, Fri, 2005-03-18, 10:31:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonloop

New album "Lady MacBeth" (Hmm, concept album, possibly  ;) ) is due out on 25th April.

Really like all her albums, that symphonic/pomp/proggy/AOR sound is pretty unique (espcially these days) and she sure has a great voice.

For anyone UK based, £10.99 from www.play.com seems to be the best price (although the site shop is pretty reasonable due to the $/£ exchange)

;D

The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

I believe she's done a tremendous job on Ayreon's Universal Migrator. I don't know any of her own projects, really, haven't had the time yet.
Something seems to have happened later on in the formerly good relation between Lana and Arjen, involving some bad taste in comments about Arjen on a cover of one of Lana's albums...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

Interesting  ??? . Arjen played guitar on the cover of Rainbow's "Stargazer" from the "Covers Collection" album in 2002. Wasn't aware of any bad feelings though. Shame if there is  :-[

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

Wow  :o .

Those're pretty heavy accusations for a professional musician to say, let alone put in print in a CD booklet  :o .

I actually have that live album from the tail-end of last year - it's still in my 'to play' pile (!!) and I certainly haven't read the sleevenotes (I will tonite though  ;) )

Bit of respect lost for Mr Norlander now  - don't like to see that sort of thing  :(

Thanks for the thread too Peter, appreciate your finding it.

:)

The Voyager

I like Lana's album "Love Is An Illusion"(1995). Good stuff.  :) Besides, there are some Ayreon efforts in my collection.

Appelmoes??

I got 'curious goods (New version + old one)' great album, but I never got around to listen to other albums. Shame on me :(
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Teunis

I have three Lana Lane albums: Secrets of Astrology, Project Shangri-La and the Ballad Collection. I bought Secrets of Astrology because of the participation of Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon). Great album.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

NijntjeRocks

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2005-03-18, 17:09:43
I got 'curious goods (New version + old one)
Dito, but i have only the special edition, whatever special is about it..
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: NijntjeRocks on Sun, 2005-03-20, 23:51:33
Dito, but i have only the special edition, whatever special is about it..
What I meant IS the special edition ;) 2 disc's, the old '96 version of the album and the new recorded album with one different song. At least, that's my special edtion ;)

My drawings on MySpace

NijntjeRocks

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sun, 2005-03-20, 23:55:53
What I meant IS the special edition ;) 2 disc's, the old '96 version of the album and the new recorded album with one different song. At least, that's my special edtion ;)
Ah, I see. It is the same :-X

I should take a better look at the albums I dont listen too much... ::)
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: NijntjeRocks on Sun, 2005-03-20, 23:59:04
Ah, I see. It is the same :-X

I should take a better look at the albums I dont listen too much... ::)
Maybe a better 'listen' too  :P

My drawings on MySpace

Moonloop

The new album's got 9/10 on prog-nose :

If you like symphonic rock with a leading lady doing the vocals, you’re alright with Lana Lane. Lana has got this very typical, rather high voice, which you’ve got to like, but she’s a good singer. Ten years after their debut, they release this concept album based on the historical Shakespeare play “Macbeth�, introducing newcomer Kristoffer Gildenlöw from Pain of Salvation. The album is very versatile, full of changing rhythms and keeping the middle between steaming rock and ballads.

Starting of with the title track, the rhythm is taken to the top with speed metal guitars. This track (almost 8 minutes) is a bit too long as far as I’m concerned: it tends to repeat itself. The beat is taken down in “Someone to Believe�, a gently rocking song with great rock guitars. I like it when Lana keeps her voice this low. (Can also be viewed on the bonus video)

The first highlight is “Our Time Now�, a rock ballad with all the classic ingredients. The song itself isn’t any better than a lot of other ballads, but the guitar solos could have been on a post-Waters Pink Floyd album, including the choir this band has used a lot in that period. The guitar literary lifts the song to a higher level. “We Had the World�, also a rock ballad, is great from beginning to the end, with great guitar solos and wonderful synthesizer interventions.

The fretless bass is used in quite a few tracks and produces wonderful sounds in songs like the beautiful “No Tomorrow�, a ballad with Scorpions like elements.  Not all songs are top level, but this album never annoys. Listen to the great guitar solo in “Shine on Golden Song� or dream away on the wonderful sounds of “The Vision�. Beautiful choirs, enchanting fretless bass, superb guitars and great synthesizer solos. This instrumental “slow�, with guitar solos that flirt with as well Pink Floyd as Neil Young in his “Like a Hurricane� period is my favourite track on this album. The song lasts four minutes, I wish it had been eight.

But the heavier symphonic work hasn’t been forgotten either. Apart from the title track, there’s quite a rhythm in “Keeper of the Flame� and “Summon the Devil�. Most of all, however, this album contains symphonic rock ballads with magnificent guitar solos and the pure voice of Lana Lane, who is known to have an enormous vocal range.

You won’t be disappointed if you buy this album.

Sounds good to me  ;D

Appelmoes??

Another week and my paycheck is in 8)

My drawings on MySpace

Moonloop

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2005-04-19, 16:59:56
Another week and my paycheck is in 8)

Another week and my car needs servicing  >:( (still, can always find money for essential CD purchases  ;) )

Teunis

I have heard soundclips of 'Lady MacBeth' on www.nlstore.nl. I'm not very impressed, but it's not fair to have an opinion on 30 seconds per track, I guess.

But I've decided to buy the Arena albums first ;).

Moonloop

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2005-04-20, 18:58:21
I have heard soundclips of 'Lady MacBeth' on www.nlstore.nl. I'm not very impressed, but it's not fair to have an opinion on 30 seconds per track, I guess.

But I've decided to buy the Arena albums first ;).

My own angle on it is that if you like one Lana Lane album then chances are you'll like the others, is this the first you've heard..??

Also, you're quite right, 30 seconds clips aren't a good indication of an album - usually 2 or 3 full plays to form an opinion is the minimum I'd say  :)

Appelmoes??

I'm going to get it or order it this evening :)

My drawings on MySpace

Moonloop

It's £10.99 from

www.play.com

I've got it on order and hope to get it early next week  ;D

Teunis

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-04-21, 08:35:51
My own angle on it is that if you like one Lana Lane album then chances are you'll like the others, is this the first you've heard..??

No, I have 'Secrets of Astrology' (favourite one), 'Project Shangri-La' and 'Ballad Collection'.
But I heard nothing really special, too much of the same, It's not my priority to buy this album that soon. First I want to buy the rest of the Arena catalogue: 'Songs from the Lions Cage' and 'Pride'.

Appelmoes??

Hmm, forgot to order it :-X But I got 3 other albums 8)

My drawings on MySpace

Melo

I must admit that I am appalled by what I have read. How dreadfully unprofessional of Lana and Erik apart from being extremely petty.

Moonloop

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2005-04-21, 18:16:21
No, I have 'Secrets of Astrology' (favourite one), 'Project Shangri-La' and 'Ballad Collection'.
But I heard nothing really special, too much of the same, It's not my priority to buy this album that soon. First I want to buy the rest of the Arena catalogue: 'Songs from the Lions Cage' and 'Pride'.

Arena before Lana Lane..?? Can't argue with that  ;D

Moonloop

Quote from: Melo on Sun, 2005-04-24, 19:08:52
I must admit that I am appalled by what I have read. How dreadfully unprofessional of Lana and Erik apart from being extremely petty.

Indeed. It's really put me off them - if the new album doesn't press the right buttons them I'll probably not bother with them anymore  >:(

Melo

I hve always enjoyed Lana Lane - but this has pissed me off to the point where I don't want to give them the time of day. Further, Arjen has the reputation of being an extremely nice man. I can tell you that I have written to many people inviting them to join the Bazaar - amongst those who replied personally to me (the big names I mean) were Nick Barrett and Arjen. So, he is not so full of himself that he would ignore mail from fans, nor does he feel the need to have someone else answer mail as many other big names have. Even though he did not join the Bazaar, but he was so darned nice...