News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Biggest loss to music

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-03-15, 13:03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Artists who died before their time

Jimi Hendrix
5 (11.6%)
John Lennon
10 (23.3%)
Phil Lynott
2 (4.7%)
Freddy Mercury
23 (53.5%)
John Bonham
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Teunis

I voted for Freddy Mercury. Last week I played the DVD 'Live at the Wembley stadium'. Unique, his intervention with the audience.

Would like to add Jeff Porcaro, the drummer of Toto who died in the early 90's.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

keyboardistmatt

I put Freddie Mercury, as  was brought up on Queen.  As well as Dire Straits, Status Quo, various 80's music.

But mostly Queen.

;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Moonloop

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Tue, 2005-06-21, 08:36:39
I put Freddie Mercury, as  was brought up on Queen.  As well as Dire Straits, Status Quo, various 80's music.

But mostly Queen.

;D

Must admit I'm going through a bit of a Quo renaissance with all the recent remasters  ;D

"Love Over Gold" is one of the truely great albums of all time too (IMHO, naturally)  ;)

;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

keyboardistmatt

'Love Over Gold' is a great album...

"Industrial Disease" is a fantastic track.  Shame it wasn't on the live 'Alchemy' album though!  It was played though because you can hear the end of it on one of the tracks.

"Telegraph Road" is also excellent!  The guitar solo is pretty damn good too! ;D

Diablos_Bassist

i voted for jimmi cus there will never be another like that ever , but because of my bass roots i have to say Phil Lynott one and only. :o ;D :D
why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly...

Herben

I voted Freddy Mercury, that was the last one which I remembered that died, and made a whole band stop playing. But I would also mention Kurdt Kobain, a great singer with a unique style.
Yes Jimmy Hendrix was also a great guitar player, but I had to choose, makes it difficult, but he died so many years ago, that it's like Rembrand who died, so that made me choos for Freddy
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Diablos_Bassist on Tue, 2005-07-05, 22:10:41
i voted for jimmi cus there will never be another like that ever , but because of my bass roots i have to say Phil Lynott one and only. :o ;D :D

Nice signature...! ;)

Diablos_Bassist

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Fri, 2005-07-15, 19:47:21
Nice signature...! ;)

Thanks dude
                    Oh yeah jaco pastorius should be there i think he was a weird insite of how to play bass like no other...
why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly...

Emilia

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2005-03-15, 17:39:37
Freddie, a unique person and voice.
No doubt he was! My no 1 vocalist of all times. Irreplacable. I read somewhere that a UK rock radiostation recently made a poll for best vocalist, bassist, guitarist and so on...and  Freddie was second after Robert Plant (In fact most of them were British ;D)
E.
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Herben

Quote from: Emilia on Fri, 2005-08-12, 14:03:01
Freddie was second after Robert Plant (In fact most of them were British ;D)
E.
Who is Robert Plant? Never heard of the guy, for such a good singer he must have been more famous. Good vocalists what to think of the Arenasingers, Fish, Steve Hogarth. I think it's just a question of taste at that level, I'd rather hear Rob Sowden or Steve Hogarth than Freddie, I even always was more font of Bryan Mays voice than Freddies. But Yes Bryan May had a more simple voice than Freddie.

Emilia

Quote from: Herben on Fri, 2005-08-12, 14:40:38
Who is Robert Plant? Never heard of the guy, for such a good singer he must have been more famous. Good vocalists what to think of the Arenasingers, Fish, Steve Hogarth. I think it's just a question of taste at that level, I'd rather hear Rob Sowden or Steve Hogarth than Freddie, I even always was more font of Bryan Mays voice than Freddies. But Yes Bryan May had a more simple voice than Freddie.
No kiddin' you dont know Robert? ;) Oh... no worry, maybe that's because Led Zeppelin isnt (wasnt) such a progressive band ;D I love May maybe not for his vocal but his voice fit very well in these famous multi-leyer Queen choirs, together with Rog and Fred. In fact most of my fav Q. songs were written by Brian (like Who wants to live forever) However, he did quite good job on his solo albums, also vocally!
E.
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

creme anglais

I find this kind of topic difficult............. who is to say that the dearly departed had not already played/written/recorded their finest work, that they would not have 'bummed' out had they lived..........however unlieky this might sound!

i voted for John Lennon......... because his death touched me more than the others.......
but I kinda believe in destiny, and the guys had given us their masterpieces before their untimely deaths.

CAx

Herben

Quote from: Emilia on Fri, 2005-08-12, 15:20:13
No kiddin' you dont know Robert? ;) Oh... no worry, maybe that's because Led Zeppelin isnt (wasnt) such a progressive band
Yes I know Led Zeppelin, who doesn't, I never knew that Robert Plant was the singer of that band. I also have a Led Zeppelin CD, but I never looked at who the bandmembers are. Mostly I'm not so interested in bandmembers, unless they went solo, than I recognize them, sorry.

Emilia

I believe so. Didn't mean to sound rude....
E.

maddox

I voted for John Lennon. Since i had the luxury to listen to Spocks beard's Beware of darkness, i have become a huge fan of the beatles. Don't know why, but their music just hits me.

MAD.  8)

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Herben

Quote from: Emilia on Thu, 2005-08-18, 13:50:21
I believe so. Didn't mean to sound rude....
E.
Thank You, You're very nice too me. Maybe You thought what stupid that I didn't know Robert Plant, it was indeed stupid of me could have known it if I looked a bit futher.

Martinyesman

I voted for Jimi Hendrix, as he set the bench mark for successive generations of guitarists.  I'd have voted for Sandy Denny if she'd been included.

Obscyra

I voted for Freddie Mercury although John Lennon was very close. Both had an impact on me somehow.
Carpe Noctem!

Herben

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-06-22, 15:23:28
'Love Over Gold' is a great album...

"Industrial Disease" is a fantastic track.  Shame it wasn't on the live 'Alchemy' album though!  It was played though because you can hear the end of it on one of the tracks.

"Telegraph Road" is also excellent!  The guitar solo is pretty damn good too! ;D
I like Telegraph road as well but I don't like Industrial Disease, I can only agree not too put a live version on Alchemy, waste of space on the record

keyboardistmatt

Oh, and "Private Investigations" is great too.

Herben

But Mark Knopfler is still alive although Dire Straits hasn't brought out a new album since on every street
or maybe mark knopfler is Dire Straits