News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Big Big Train

Started by PH, Sun, 2013-09-08, 22:35:26

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

I did check (actually double checked), but no topic about Big Big Train yet.
So here we go. :)

Big Big Train is possibly the most 'English' band I know. Only Genesis has made more English albums with "Selling England By The Pound" (obviously).
And Genesis remains the main reference here, since BBT really sounds like a continuation of Genesis' sound around 1976-1977, just a lot more updated to this time of course. Their singer, David Longdon, auditioned to replace Phil Collins as the singer of Genesis, alongside Francis Dunnery, the late Kevin Gilbert and of course Ray Wilson. Many (me included) think his voice sounds a lot like Phil Collins, some even say he sounds like Peter Gabriel (not me). Another thing that makes BBT an English sounding band, is their instruments. Of course there's guitars, bass, keyboards and drums. But also accordion, banjo, all kinds of flutes, violins, cellos and brass instruments. The music has a pastoral tone to it. It makes you feel as if you're walking through an English scenery with great wide green fields and bushes and hedges. A babbling brook here and there. Some sheep, rabbits, etc. etc.

The lyrics are mostly about English topics. Of course there's the album titles like "English Boy Wonders" and "English Electric". Some songs are indeed about the English countryside. There are also songs about English history, the working man, and, of course, trains.

I really like England and to be honest, I'm a bit of an anglophile. This music reminds me of my holidays in England, of which I have fond memories.

I recommend this band wholeheartedly. Especially the last three albums: "The Underfall Yard", "English Electric, Part One" and "English Electric, Part Two", which have David Longdon on vocals (and a lot of other (unusual) instruments), but also original founding members Greg Spawton on guitars, keyboards and bass and Andy Poole on bass and keyboards.
And then there's also:
Dave Gregory (XTC) on guitars
Nick D'Virgilio (ex-Spock's Beard) on drums

As well as a few interesting guest musicians, like Jem Godfrey (Frost*), Andy Tillison (The Tangent) and Martin Orford (ex-IQ) among others.

One year ago I didn't even really know this band. But now it's one of my absolute favourites!

PH

Now, I totally forgot to mention why I started this topic anyway.
There is some news.

Last two BBT albums ("English Electric, Part One" and "English Electric, Part Two") are now available as a double album.
It's called "English Electric: Full Power". Apart from all the songs of Part One and Part Two (in a different tracklist order), four new tracks are added. They are called:
Make Some Noise (4:22)
Seen Better Days (7:37)
Edgelands (1:26)
The Lovers (5:32)

There will also be an EP with just the four songs. The EP will be called "Make Some Noise".

I like it that they make an EP with the new songs, instead of making the fans buy their music twice, just for these four new tracks.
And all of their cds are pretty cheap on their website!

I'm going for the EP,  but if you don't have both "English Electric" albums, I suggest you go for the double album! 8)

PH

Here's a music video of Make Some Noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKe1FdztHGM

It's very un-BBT-ish, but I like it anyway. 8)

PH

The EP "Make Some Noise" doesn't only have the four new tracks, but comes with a few songs from the English Electric albums too!
1. Make Some Noise
2. Uncle Jack
3. Keeper of Abbeys (branch line edition)
4. Leopards
5. Swan Hunter
6. Seen Better Days
7. Edgelands
8. The Lovers
9. Curator of Butterflies (branch line edition)

So it's some sort of 'Best Of the last two albums' + a few extra unreleased tracks.

It's only 5 pounds if you live in the UK, 6 pounds for Europe and 7 pounds for the rest of the world. That's shipping costs included!

Come on people, check the shop and also check the special offer bundles! (EE1 + EE2 + MSN EP = 15 pounds?? 12,50 pounds for UK??)
It's extremely cheap for such expensive music! 8)

*Big Big Train fanboy mode off*

Peter

Hey PH, nice find here. These are obviously brilliant musicians.
And they even dare use the sacred Jethro Tull flute :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

funkster

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2013-09-19, 16:42:32
Here's a music video of Make Some Noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKe1FdztHGM

It's very un-BBT-ish, but I like it anyway. 8)

2 brilliant albums and a slightly awkward looking promo ;)