News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Boil

Started by maddox, Sun, 2013-05-19, 21:48:42

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Up next (I'm on a roll here) is Danish (;)) band Boil.

A little bio;

Quote from: BoilBased in Aarhus, Denmark, the progrock band BOIL plays an ambitious style of progressive rock and metal that balances on the delicate edge of melodic catchiness, intricacy and complexity. With the 5 members drawing from widely different influences, the unique mixture contains elements of both polyrhythmic modern metal, electronica, grunge and classic rock.

Heard about them through the Dutch progsite Progwereld (progworld), and because one of the reviewers, who's a friend of mine, recommended this band to me, I took the dive and bought the latest album Axiom.
They are definitely not a band you should take lightly, music wise.
Axiom is a tough nut to crack but once you're 'inside', it's well worth the effort.

Quote from: bio of AxiomaXiom:
Setting the bar ever higher, BOIL spent 2011 writing their most diverse and ambitious album yet; the aptly titled "aXiom". The album was recorded by BOIL themselves in Jan-Feb 2012 in Sleepwalker Studios, mixed and mastered by the renowned Swedish producer Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios (Soilwork, Opeth, Symphony X, Devin Townsend) and features amazing artwork by Travis Smith (Nevermore, Opeth, Katatonia). The band teamed up with Intromental Management (Redemption, Leprous) for management and world-wide booking and soon followed up with signing a record deal with Swedish label ViciSolum Productions for the world-wide release of "aXiom" on February 15th 2013. The first video (made by Spanish animator Jose Cubero/ridertoons.com) for the epic track "Vindication" was released in October 2012.

The inspiration for "aXiom" came from a series of interviews that BOIL (with the assistance from various mental institutions and organisations) arranged with a number of people suffering from mental disorders, especially paranoid schizophrenics suffering from delusions. Based on the extensive notes from the interview sessions, the lyrical universe on "aXiom" has in a way made the album a concept album, turning the songs into one joint, yet fractured, story which operates on two levels; depicting the experiences of a paranoid schizophrenic man suffering from delusions, while exploring the underlying philosophical discussion of "Truth" as a concept.
"aXiom" ventures into more extreme directions than previous albums, both technically, conceptually, sonically and melodically. Mirroring the story, the 12 songs twist and turn at a relentless pace, constantly catching the listener off-guard and showcasing the band reaching new levels of creativity.

Take the ride! I'd say. ;)

Vindication

Heretic Martyr

Info facebook;

https://www.facebook.com/boilmusic

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Peter

Hey, thanks for the hint, maddie.

I will have to listen to this again, when my evil headache is gone. For now, Vindication sounds like a Porcupine Tree song to me. And sadly, those guys use growl and scream... which turns me off, basically. But the sound is heavily energetic, I really like the style.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2013-05-19, 22:15:29
those guys use growl and scream... which turns me off, basically.

That's cuz Caps think they have the sole right to growl and scream - at their crew  ;D

Where's Denmark, Mad ?  :D

Thanx, nice to hear that people like stuff from one's home country. Denmark actually has a lot to offer, progwise, just as much as Sweden, Norway, and Finland; it's just the population who for some reason I don't understand are behind (maybe too much on their behind  :D ): The two top-league melodic progmetal bands Royal Hunt and Anubis Gate, Beyond Twilight (also excellent mpm), Mercenary (more in yer face metal), The Arcane Order (for those of us who like mad-Cap growl & scream), Section X (nice guitar stuff by Torben Enevoldsen), Pretty Maids (nice melodic metal), and now Boil (never heard of'm, Mad).

I'l check'm up shortly, but right now I'm doin some cult -> NP

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Super too, Mad  *horns*

Altho they are definitely up to international prog standards, I can still hear the "Danish" in'm  8)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Had forgotten about this thread  :-[

Yup, saw them and Andromeda at Debaser in Malmö last Saturday. Super concerts  *horns*

Bought Boil's latest studio album aXiom. As Mad said:

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2013-05-19, 21:48:42
They are definitely not a band you should take lightly, musicwise.
aXiom is a tough nut to crack but once you're 'inside', it's well worth the effort.

Boil have released three full studio albums. Gotta get them all ....  :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

:o

And suddenly, from out of nowhere, comes the news...

Boil seize to exist.

Quote from: BoilBOIL has been dissolved in september 2013. Thank you to everyone who followed us during our career. BOIL (2004 - 2013) - R.I.P.

https://www.facebook.com/boilmusic?hc_location=stream

That's quite unexpected.  :(
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2013-09-16, 13:09:40
That's quite unexpected.  :(

YES  :(

When I saw them a few days ago, they looked great  ???

Well, sure glad that I managed to see'm  8)

So now we have to make do with their albums. aXiom is great, recommendable to people who like Tool and Opeth  ;)

Thanx for the info, Mad  :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Wow... I've seen the name 'Boil' come by a few times now. Didn't have the time to check them out yet. But it seems like a rash and impulsive decision to break up.
Still have them noted as band to check out. Especially now you mention them as being similar to Opeth.

By the way, I think I saw you on facebook now Nicky. ;)