News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

THE VISITOR 20th Anniversary Remastered Edition/Tour 2018

Started by Teunis, Thu, 2017-11-16, 18:35:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

Looks nice, and of course I pre-ordered this more than fine album, but I'm a bit disappointed with the extras that goes with the album.
I've expected a bit more.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2017-12-03, 18:46:16
Looks nice, and of course I pre-ordered this more than fine album, but I'm a bit disappointed with the extras that goes with the album.
I've expected a bit more.

That's also what I thought. There must have been unreleased demos or something. Or an instrumental mix of the album, I would buy that without hesitation. I haven't preordered yet. I might do that eventually, but perhaps I won't. My cd is still sounding really good! For a fan, there's not really anything in this. And I hate to sound bitter, but what does it mean to be a fan of a band nowadays?

We'll see, perhaps I'll buy it on one of the gigs in Zoetermeer or Zwolle. Anyone going?

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2017-12-04, 10:09:28
We'll see, perhaps I'll buy it on one of the gigs in Zoetermeer or Zwolle. Anyone going?
Yep, purchased tickets for the gig in Zwolle. A bit strange though, on the 4th of May. At 8 o'clock P.M. two minutes of silence and then going to the gig ::) ;).

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2017-12-04, 19:47:49
Yep, purchased tickets for the gig in Zwolle. A bit strange though, on the 4th of May. At 8 o'clock P.M. two minutes of silence and then going to the gig ::) ;).

Yes. I also thought of that. What a contrast. First remembering all who died in the war, and right after that an Arena party. ;D
Btw, are you always going alone to concerts? I find it hard to go on my own.
Part of the fun of experiencing music, is experiencing it together, and talking about it, etc.

For example, I want to go to the Treshold gig this Saturday but no-one wants to come with me... :( Not even when I offer to pay their ticket, haha! ;D

maddox

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2017-12-04, 10:09:28
And I hate to sound bitter, but what does it mean to be a fan of a band nowadays?

Buy the new releases of any kind instantly, without questions. ;)
A joke of course but I know what you mean.

QuoteWe'll see, perhaps I'll buy it on one of the gigs in Zoetermeer or Zwolle. Anyone going?

I was thinking about going to Zwolle for a change, heard good things about the venue. Never been there before. Is it any bigger than de Boerderij or just about the same size?

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2017-12-04, 19:47:49

That's weird. I know there will be people who have to work on that day but you'd though that when they book artists, they would keep this in mind.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2017-12-05, 08:57:25
Btw, are you always going alone to concerts? I find it hard to go on my own.
About half the gigs I go on my own. Other gigs with wife, friends or family.

Quote from: PH
Part of the fun of experiencing music, is experiencing it together, and talking about it, etc.
Yeah, but not when the band is playing  ::) ;)

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2017-12-05, 12:41:52
I was thinking about going to Zwolle for a change, heard good things about the venue. Never been there before. Is it any bigger than de Boerderij or just about the same size? Hope I'm wrong though.
It's about the same size and both venues have a balcony. But the last time Arena played in Zwolle the balcony was closed, not enough tickets sold and I fear the worst for the gig on the 4th of May ... Hope I'm wrong though.

kmorse

So, what's new and better about this remaster? So many remasters are just louder and more compressed so that they sound better as an mp3.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

maddox

Quote from: kmorse on Mon, 2018-02-19, 21:38:37
So, what's new and better about this remaster? So many remasters are just louder and more compressed so that they sound better as an mp3.

Well, like you said...it's louder.
Don't know about the compressed thingy though. Like I already said, the extra's on the remaster is... disappointing.
Expected a lot more.

kmorse

Remastering old albums can be kind of a scheme to separate fans from their money.  I did buy the Steven Wilson surround sound  remasters of early Yes and King Crimson albums. He also remastered EL&P's first album and Tarkus but the surround sound copies of those are hard to come by. Wilson also did "Tarkus" and then left the rest to someone else. I have the "Trilogy" surround sound. It's OK but the extras that came with the package are not extraordinary. Wilson has made a career out of remastering old Tull, Steve Hackett, and more, some in surround and some just remastered. He does fiddle with the mix and channel separation. When he can, he breaks down the master tapes into the original source tapes.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

PH

Quote from: kmorse on Wed, 2018-02-28, 15:57:31
Remastering old albums can be kind of a scheme to separate fans from their money.  I did buy the Steven Wilson surround sound  remasters of early Yes and King Crimson albums. He also remastered EL&P's first album and Tarkus but the surround sound copies of those are hard to come by. Wilson also did "Tarkus" and then left the rest to someone else. I have the "Trilogy" surround sound. It's OK but the extras that came with the package are not extraordinary. Wilson has made a career out of remastering old Tull, Steve Hackett, and more, some in surround and some just remastered. He does fiddle with the mix and channel separation. When he can, he breaks down the master tapes into the original source tapes.

What I like about Steven's remasters, is that he also makes an instrumental mix.
I would buy the whole Arena discography again if it has a remastered instrumental mix.

maddox

Quote from: kmorse on Wed, 2018-02-28, 15:57:31

That being said, the Brave Remix/remaster isn't really that louder than it was with the original album.
He does know how to mix it up a bit, quite a marksman, though he's a bit omni-pressent, if you ask me.
But not everything he touches turns into gold.

arenaprogluv

I saw Arena performing  'The Visitor'  last night in Wath-Upon-Dearne.  They finally have a guy on the mixing desk who knows what he's doing,  with John Mitchell's guitars high up in the mix,  giving Arena that heavier,  ballsier,  rockier sound,  that's required in many of their songs, that we don't usually hear,  especially live. 

With this  'freedom',  John Mitchell was on fire last night,  with some awesome playing.  The last track from the album,  the title track,  was just so moving and that performance on the guitar will live long in the memory.

Such a pleasure to be there to hear one of the best albums ever,  performed so brilliantly.

I have to say also,  that Paul Manzi was also in top form last night and is easily on a par with their earlier vocalist Paul Wrightson who was also wonderful.

One final comment,  take a bow Clive Nolan.  Inspired song writing and a fantastic album. 

PH

Quote from: arenaprogluv on Sun, 2018-04-22, 20:17:46
I saw Arena performing...

Hey arenaprogluv! That sounds great! I can't wait to see Arena performing 'The Visitor' and all the other stuff, when they'll hit the Netherlands.
Did they also play a lot of the upcoming album?

Oh and welcome to The Shattered Room official Arena forum! It's a bit quiet here lately, but we're a friendly bunch, both of us. ;D