News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Extrovert / introvert

Started by PH, Tue, 2011-03-29, 23:14:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you more of an extrovert or introvert type of guy/girl

Extrovert
Introvert

PH

Just had a conversation with someone about extroversion and introversion.

Extroversion according to Wikipedia
Extroverts tend to enjoy human interactions and are generally enthusiastic, talkative, assertive, and gregarious in social situations. They take pleasure in activities that involve large social gatherings such as: parties, community activities, public demonstrations, business, and political groups. Politics, teaching, sales, managing and brokering are fields that favor extroversion. An extroverted person enjoys and becomes energized by larger groups of people while time alone is less enjoyable and boring to them.

Introversion according to Wikipedia
Introverts are people whose energy tends to expand through reflection and dwindle during interaction. Introverts tend to be more reserved and less outspoken in large groups. They often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, music, drawing, tinkering, playing video games, watching movies and plays, and using computers, along with some more reserved outdoor activities such as fishing and hiking.

To me it seems that society has accepted and even encourages extroversion while it kind of suppresses introvert people. Of course not intentional (at least I hope so!). But being introvert is often seen as undesirable. Just take a look at television, adverts and other media.

I know that most people are at least a bit of both, but tend to lean more to one side or the other.
So what are you? Are you introvert or extrovert?
And what is your opinion on Progressive Rock/Metal regarding this matter? Are Proggers more introvert or extrovert? Or does it differ on the subgenres?

What are your views on this subject?

Discuss! ;)

Bupie

I voted. I won't tell you what choice I picked but at this point it's rather easy to guess  ;D

Joke aside, this is the kind of topic I would really like to take part to but where my poor English is really an obstacle  :P The same could be said about the downloading topice started by Mad (if I recall) where I don't have the words to express my thoughts. Check this one too, PH.

I think that most prog fans are leaning towards (to ?) the introvert side. The music itself sometimes leads to introspective reflexion, needs careful listening and is not so often danceable nor is "party-background music-friendly". I don't imagine playing Magenta's Metamorphosis at a barbecue party in my garden for instance (well, I don't have a garden but you get the point).

Some prog fans also seem to think that they belong to an elite and like to stay in their ivory tower of "knowledge", way above the rest of the crowd, which I see sometimes as pure pride, and sometimes as an easy way to justify an inability to cope with a "normal" social life. Needless to say that I don't share this elitist feeling and that is probably why I feel so comfortable in the Room : people here are not pretentious.

Classic metal is a different thing : it can fit the barbecue party rather well  :)

Peter

Woohooo, all introverts here.... oops... sorry ;P

If I weren't I'd probably be a professional singer by now, not a computer dude.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2011-03-30, 10:48:29I voted. I won't tell you what choice I picked but at this point it's rather easy to guess  ;D

;D

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2011-03-30, 10:48:29Joke aside, this is the kind of topic I would really like to take part to but where my poor English is really an obstacle  :P

Ahhh! :'( I encounter linguistic barriers too, so I know what you mean. It can be very frustrating at times.
But perhaps you can express yourself in French.
There are translating websites we can use to understand what you said!

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2011-03-30, 10:48:29The same could be said about the downloading topice started by Mad (if I recall) where I don't have the words to express my thoughts. Check this one too, PH.

If you mean the 'Twilight of the bands' topic, yes I've seen it. I did in fact contribute to that thread. Peter revived that topic a few months back. I haven't replied yet, but to me it seems as if we're repeating ourselves a bit there.
Thanks anyway, I'll see if I can come up with something interesting. ;D

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2011-03-30, 10:48:29I think that most prog fans are leaning towards (to ?) the introvert side. The music itself sometimes leads to introspective reflexion, needs careful listening and is not so often danceable nor is "party-background music-friendly". I don't imagine playing Magenta's Metamorphosis at a barbecue party in my garden for instance (well, I don't have a garden but you get the point).

Some prog fans also seem to think that they belong to an elite and like to stay in their ivory tower of "knowledge", way above the rest of the crowd, which I see sometimes as pure pride, and sometimes as an easy way to justify an inability to cope with a "normal" social life. Needless to say that I don't share this elitist feeling and that is probably why I feel so comfortable in the Room : people here are not pretentious.

Well, that wasn't bad at all, Bupie!

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2011-03-30, 10:48:29Classic metal is a different thing : it can fit the barbecue party rather well  :)

Hahaha! ;D
What exactly is classic metal anyway? Music that was called metal, is now most of the time referred to as hard rock.

So at least till now, we somewhat agree on that you need to be a bit introvert to like Prog.
But what about the general view on introverts in society?

maddox

Well personally i'm an introvert kind of guy.
No question about it, I'd be happier keeping my lips sealed then instead of talking about myself especially in large groups.

I don't mingle very well.

I do like to sit in the background though, overseeing people as they talk about things or doing stuff.
Then occasionally I also participate in the discussion but the only condition for me is that it has to be controllable.
Yep, I'm a controlfreak, forged by nature or things like that. ;D

And to be honest, it's mainly because of my vocal abilities that I usually withhold myself from any conversation.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

I'd like to see Cap as an extrovert Marilyn Manson type singer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6VojYGrnpg&feature=artistob&playnext=1&list=TLWNg9Q8Qsso4

Maybe at our international Room conference, we can do that. I'l then do the extrovert Ben Weinman thingy on top'o all the loudspeakers (that's what I actually experienced at the Dillinger concert in Cop)  ;D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEYLlDThZU

Yeah, I too think that most proggies would be on the introvert side. Extroverts wouldnt have the patience to delve into prog.

However, I think the deal is to develop the deficient sides of one's character, so that introverts should practice being extrovert. I was very socially clumsy for many years, but now I'v compensated so much that people who don't know me better judge me extrovert.

I think it's far more difficult for extroverts to learn to be introvert - with all the babes scramblin over'm  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2011-03-30, 17:59:59
What exactly is classic metal anyway?

Classic metal would be Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest up to Painkiller, and Metallica up to about The Black Album.

These were the groups that formed/forged metal initially.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Six introverted people here...

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2011-04-03, 11:29:39I think it's far more difficult for extroverts to learn to be introvert - with all the babes scramblin over'm  ;)

Interesting.

Question:
- Do extroverts get more attention from the opposite sex than introverts?
- Do extroverts attract introverts and/or vice versa?

Am I the only one who finds these discussions interesting?

Iggy

I used to be guite extoverted when I was younger but as I get older I am definitely more introverted. My job requires me to go to lots of meetings and talk with many different people so I guess that is why I go quiter outside of work.