News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now watching

Started by funkster, Mon, 2009-11-09, 17:03:54

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardistmatt

Life on Mars Season 1
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Teunis

Anathema - Universal  8)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

keyboardistmatt

PH

Ok, are there any good tv shows nowadays? What are you guys watching? What should I check out?

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2014-03-11, 13:21:21
Ok, are there any good tv shows nowadays? What are you guys watching? What should I check out?
Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead are the last series that hooked me. Before that, there were Rome and The Tudors. All of them I can recommend without an hesitation.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2014-03-11, 13:21:21

I mainly watch historical programs in TV. Lots of good ones on our Kanal K, K for Kultur.

Dead tired of all the detective series - both American, English, German, Swedish, Danish - cuz they'v run outta interesting intrigues. The only good thing in them is the babes ;D

Usually a bunch of women get massacred, the guys beat each other up - yeah, I'v seen enuff of that - yawn. And I'm tired of seeing pompous gorillas in suits.

Got a good collection of dvd's. The best I can see several times, and then I can select choice parts 8)

- Nicky

So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2014-03-11, 16:13:09
Dead tired of all the detective series - both American, English, German, Swedish, Danish - cuz they'v run outta interesting intrigues. The only good thing in them is the babes ;D
Oh, that makes me think that I forgot my last coup de coeur : the Swedish/Danish series Bron/Broen. It is indeed a detective series but far from Nicky's description. I really found the first season captivating and I won't miss the second one. Strongly recommended. Nicky, did you watch it ?

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2014-03-11, 18:11:31
Strongly recommended. Nicky, did you watch it ?

I'v seen parts of it, Bupie. What caught me most was actually the killer bride, the Swedish detective :-*

I'm hooked to these coool Scandinavian blondes. Got one myself actually 8)

But with your recommendation I'll check up on it ....

Thanx, Bupie :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Draco chimera

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2014-03-11, 14:27:08
Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead are the last series that hooked me. Before that, there were Rome and The Tudors. All of them I can recommend without an hesitation.
Gave up 2 episodes into seaon 4. Found the plot was evolving too slowly and that we'd kind of seen it all before. I often feel like episodes begin in a cool and interesting way, but usually end up disappointed. If you've seen season 4, do you think it would be worth it for me to try and catch up?
Let your conscience decide !

Bupie

The "seen it before" feeling is always there in this series but to be honest I really love this fourth season. I would recommend you to hold on at least until episode 8 which is the midseason finale and is really breathtaking ! The difference with previous seasons is that this time there is a complete focus on a few characters on each episode to a point that the other ones don't appear at all. But they are (almost) all reunite in episode 8 and ... you will see  ;)

I am up to episode 13 now and I can't wait to watch the last three.

NW Royal Hunt - 20th Anniversary - The DVD Nice but kitschissime (a French expression)

NB : it's strange to have a conversation in English with another French forumer   :o

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2014-03-13, 10:36:08
NW Royal Hunt - 20th Anniversary - The DVD Nice but kitschissime (a French expression)

You shouldn't expect much stage show with Royal Hunt, they'r really in it for the music. André has had four brilliant singers in his stable - D.C. (1994–1998, 2011–present), John West (1999–2007), Mark Boals (2007–2011), even Danish Henrik Brockmann (1990–1994) tho he had rather much Danish accent at the time - and they all put up a fine show live; even so, one is best off with RH by getting into their studio albums first, and here Collision Course is a must.

The "seen it before" feeling is always there in this series ...

There's too much repetition in TV-series for me. The only series that I as a grown-up have enjoyed more than one or two episodes of is Columbo, Monty Python, The Sopranos, In Treatment, and Inspector Morse.

Columbo because his character reminds me of myself, or at least the way I like to think of myself ;) : reserved, sometimes childishly so, for a painfully long period, and then suddenly lunge forward with authority - like I guess you guys have experienced in the Room ;)

Peter Falk was also a very spiritual person 8)

Monty Python is English humour (put the "u" in this time) at its very best ;D

The Sopranos are also very extreme, but in a hilarious way. In series, it's very much up to the actors, and James Gandolfini is superb. All his crazy dreams set me rolling ;D

Gabriel Byrne is always interesting, and in In Treatment, he's at his best: upfront and restrained. Some interesting character unravelling in this originally Israeli series, but after a while, it gets a bit too fabricated.

The Inspector Morse stories are rather far-fetched, but there is something very delectable English about the whole atmosphere (Òxfòrd), and even some pearls of wisdom - which is very rare in most other series :)

Big Bang Theory could'v been of interest to me as a physicist, but the characters are way too extreme, their intonation makes me cringe.

Poirot, "Murder, She Wrote", and Miss Marple are so smug and clichéd that I can't stand them :P

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

I am really enjoying Elementary, The Blacklist and Flemming (which has just finished)

Draco chimera

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2014-03-13, 10:36:08
The "seen it before" feeling is always there in this series but to be honest I really love this fourth season. I would recommend you to hold on at least until episode 8 which is the midseason finale and is really breathtaking ! The difference with previous seasons is that this time there is a complete focus on a few characters on each episode to a point that the other ones don't appear at all. But they are (almost) all reunite in episode 8 and ... you will see  ;)

I am up to episode 13 now and I can't wait to watch the last three.

NB : it's strange to have a conversation in English with another French forumer   :o

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably get back to watching it some time soon then. Haha yeah, it's kind of weird! But living in a foreign country as part of an international community with other French people and having a "no French" rule made me more comfortable with it.  :D

Not really a now watching post, but I've been seeing some western scenes here and there as part of my US cinema class lately. Not a genre I know too much, but I really enjoy it. Slowly catching up.

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2014-03-13, 20:44:10
I am really enjoying Elementary, The Blacklist and Flemming (which has just finished)

Nooo! Haha sorry I could not resist it.  :D I haven't seen the series, but I heard they were an American version of BBC's Sherlock. I would advise you to watch the original if you haven't  already. You might consider it as en extreme reaction, but the only fact that they had to do an American version with the 43 minutes / 22 episodes and all makes me sick. Not because I don't like the format, but rather 'coz the whole "let's remake it but tailor it for our public" (be it America, the UK or France) just doesn't make any sense to me - it's regionalism. Too often I find these remakes do not bring anything new, except from the satisfaction to some consumers that they're watching something that doesn't demand adapting their experience to another culture. Not saying this is the case for you nor for this particular series of course (especially since I haven't seen it, I can't tell!), I just wanted to give my opinion on this "remake" trend.  :)
I also wonder if turning the character of John Watson into a woman didn't kind of killed the vibe there was in their relationship. I found it weird they actually made that change happen, I'd like to hear how the scenarists justify it.
Let your conscience decide !

Iggy

Quote from: Draco chimera on Thu, 2014-03-13, 21:22:44

Nooo! Haha sorry I could not resist it.  :D I haven't seen the series, but I heard they were an American version of BBC's Sherlock. I would advise you to watch the original if you haven't  already. You might consider it as en extreme reaction, but the only fact that they had to do an American version with the 43 minutes / 22 episodes and all makes me sick. Not because I don't like the format, but rather 'coz the whole "let's remake it but tailor it for our public" (be it America, the UK or France) just doesn't make any sense to me - it's regionalism. Too often I find these remakes do not bring anything new, except from the satisfaction to some consumers that they're watching something that doesn't demand adapting their experience to another culture. Not saying this is the case for you nor for this particular series of course (especially since I haven't seen it, I can't tell!), I just wanted to give my opinion on this "remake" trend.  :)
I also wonder if turning the character of John Watson into a woman didn't kind of killed the vibe there was in their relationship. I found it weird they actually made that change happen, I'd like to hear how the scenarists justify it.

It is because they threw much of the original away. Joan Watson is a really cool twist.

I have watched all things Sherlock during my life. Basil Rathbone, Peter Cooke, Benedict Cumberbatch, Douglas Wilmer ( check out the adventures of sherlock holmes' smarter brother).

So because they did their own thing it works fine. If they had copied Sherlock (last few years) it woiuld probably have been awful.

Teunis

Watching the Subsignal DVD 'Out There Must Be Something - Live In Mannheim 2012'. Great stuff  8) *horns*.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Bupie

Watching the bonus DVD of Kino's Picture and still loving it  8)

funkster

Fight club as never seen it all

Iggy

Still watching Revolution and interested to see where it will go.

keyboardistmatt

The video of "Cry VII" on the Arena website.

http://www.arenaband.co.uk/

John slipped in a slice of Pink Floyd at the beginning there!  *horns*

keyboardistmatt

Predator (Arnold Schwarzenegger)

Bupie

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Tue, 2014-04-01, 22:25:07
Predator (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
It impressed me when it came out. How has it aged ?

Yesterday, I saw the last episod of The Walking Dead's fourth season. Can't wait for the next one. Now it is time for GoT's fourth season, starting next Monday.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2014-04-04, 11:23:25
It impressed me when it came out. How has it aged ?

Like most other Arnie films. Most of them have A huge explosion within 5 minutes of the beginning, but this one does not.
Age doesn't really enter into it though - It's an Arnie film!  ;D

PH

Just watched the first forty minutes of the DVD "Whirld Tour 2010" by Transatlantic.
Which means I just passed the first half of the first song...
I'm taking a little break and then watch the second half of the first song. :)

I love it!

Iggy

JW Liverpol Vs Man City wow the dream is alive and kicking. An emotional experience 25 years on JF96.

funkster

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2014-04-13, 17:23:30
JW Liverpol Vs Man City wow the dream is alive and kicking. An emotional experience 25 years on JF96.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTDiyX3fEQs

Emotional day Iggy and can we win it ?