News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

It's time to spocksbeard.

Spock's Beard - "The Light"

maddox

Hello sirs!!!

Fates Warning ~ Darkness in a Different Light  *horns*
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2013-10-06, 20:13:49
Hello sirs!!!

Fates Warning ~ Darkness in a Different Light  *horns*

I've heard a song of that album (I think it was called Firefly) and it's quite good actually!

funkster

Big big train - English electric

Very English and probably my most played album at the moment

Bruce Soord with Jonas Renske - Wisdom of crowds

I had not even heard about this until i received an email from TPT mentioning a tour.

Very Katatonia so it gets a thumbs up from me

Bupie

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2013-10-04, 13:16:35
Bupie (I think) plays antimatter which was formed by Duncan Patterson (ex anathema) and Nick Moss they are quite gloomy.  :D
No, it's not me. I would bet on Maddox but only a small coin  :)

NP Starship - No Protection

Nicky007

Paxi, dya know this wonderful song:

NP  Mike Oldfield:  Islands

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIbAoz8ihLY

Mike O upheld high standards. He, Jon, Percy, Fish and Peter Gabriel carried us thru the lean 80's  *horns*

- without selling out to disco, like many others  :(

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

JP Haken - The Mountain.

I then discovered I owned Haken - Visions which is what is playing now.

Bupie

NP Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture

I find that this one has aged pretty well  :)

Nicky007

NP  Jethro Tull:  Benefit  (on repeat)  *horns*

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QtTZJWkms

It's surprising, I had forgotten all about this wonderful album for decades - until now, when a friend reminded me of it. It was a revelation to me at the time, so it's really a top album  8)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

NP Dream Theater - Dream Theater

At first, this one received rave reviews everywhere. Now the time has come for the bashing. On PA, the average rating was around 4.3 a few days ago and it has fallen down to 3.55 by now. On DT's French official forum, many people compare it to Haken's last and claim that Haken's is way better. I won't argue since I still have to listen to The Mountain.

But as far as I am concerned, I am once again very admirative of a DT offering. Tracks 1,2,3 and 5 are already clear winners and I have few doubts about the others even if I need more listens to confirm this impression.

Bupie

NP UB 40 - Signing Off

It´s been about 30 years since I last listened to this album. It still sounds so fresh and groovy  8)

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2013-10-08, 15:22:00

At first, this one received rave reviews everywhere. Now the time has come for the bashing. On PA, the average rating was around 4.3 a few days ago and it has fallen down to 3.55 by now. On DT's French official forum, many people compare it to Haken's last and claim that Haken's is way better. I won't argue since I still have to listen to The Mountain.

I have listened to "The Mountain" four times or so, but liked it instantly. It's actually still too soon for me to say, but it's not the same case with "Dream Theater".

NP: Riverside - "Shrine Of New Generation Slaves"

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2013-10-08, 21:20:34
I have listened to "The Mountain" four times or so, but liked it instantly. It's actually still too soon for me to say, but it's not the same case with "Dream Theater".
The Mountain is on my "must buy" list, along with the new Touchstone album. So far I only have Aquarius that I do like but it took me many listens to get into it.

NP Rob Cottingham - Captain Blue

PH

JP: Storm Corrosion - "Storm Corrosion"

NP: Dream Theater - "Dream Theater"

Heh, both self-titled albums.
For some reason, The Enemy Inside makes me think of "Systematic Chaos" (Constant Motion?). The Looking Glass starts in happy mode, which is quite unusual for them nowadays. Both songs are very good. The introduction song is ok, but is just that, an introduction song (with some circus music included).

To me, this albums sounds exactly how a Dream Theater album should sound. Which is good, but not really surprising. At least, for now. I'm still listening very carefully! ;)

funkster

Nicky007

Paxi, here are two great pieces from my youth - probably before God created Heaven and Earth - special forrr you, my young frrriend  :)

I was something like 15, when my close friend Mads, a big John Mayall fan, played this piece for me - couldn't believe my ears, still can't  *horns*

Peter Green (with John Mayall on keys, Aynsley Dunbar on drums):  The Supernatural   www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoasUjXBkm8

Yup, Supernatural  8)

I simply can't remember when I first heard Jethro Tull's Benefit, probably about the same time ... so it seemingly didn't blow me over, but simply crept below my skin - still gives me the shivers when I hear it now, humpty years later  *horns*

Jethro Tull:  Benefit  (full album, first track: With You There To Help Me )   www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QtTZJWkms

This guy could really create atmosphere with his recorder  8)

Enjoy !

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2013-10-09, 17:34:08
Paxi, here are two great pieces from my youth - probably before God created Heaven and Earth - special forrr you, my young frrriend  :)

I was something like 16, when my close friend Mads, a big John Mayall fan, played this piece for me - couldn't believe my ears, still can't  *horns*

Peter Green (with John Mayall on keys, Aynsley Dunbar on drums):  The Supernatural   www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoasUjXBkm8

Yup, Supernatural  8)

Ok Nicky, I've listened to it twice now. Very bluesy. Why is it specially for me?
It's nice music. Very relaxing. Reminds me a bit of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE-o4I1Dxgs

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2013-10-09, 17:34:08
I simply can't remember when I first heard Jethro Tull's Benefit, probably about the same time ... so it seemingly didn't blow me over, but simply crept below my skin - still gives me the shivers when I hear it now, humpty years later  *horns*

Jethro Tull:  Benefit  (full album, first track: With You There To Help Me )   www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QtTZJWkms

This guy could really create atmosphere with his recorder  8)

Enjoy !

- Nicky

I really like that. Thanks! Never actually listened to "Benefit". Just the usual "Aqualung" and "Thick As A Brick". Although, I also listened and liked "Minstrel In The Gallery", "Songs From The Wood" and "Heavy Horses".
I think it's about time to revisit Jethro Tull.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2013-10-09, 17:53:46
Reminds me a bit of this:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE-o4I1Dxgs

Sounds to me like a lot of guitar stuff they were doing back in the 50's and 60's.

I find The Supernatural far more subtle and original, Paxi  ;)

And think about calling a song The Supernatural in them days, when everything was about pining luuuuuv, and why did you leave me ?

Why is it specially for me?

Well, special for you, cuz I thought you'd like'm, and for the simple reason that nobody else plays the links I post (well, occasionally Teunis and Cap)  ::)

I really like that. Thanks! Never actually listened to Benefit.

:)

Donno, there's somethin special about Benefit ... but maybe it's just me, maybe it's just that one's more impressionable in ones youth. The albums that hit me in those days (the first ones on my Top Albums list) are specially dear to me, particularly Waiting For The Sun, which opened my eyes and ears to rock  ;)

NP  Peter Green  YouTube Mix  www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoasUjXBkm8&list=RD02YoasUjXBkm8  8)

Interesting, from Wiki:

Peter Green was ranked 38th in Rolling Stone's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". His tone on the Bluesbreakers instrumental "The Supernatural" was rated as one of the 50 greatest of all time by Guitar Player. In June 1996 Green was voted the third-best guitarist of all time in Mojo magazine.

A major figure and bandleader in the "second great epoch" of the British blues movement, Green inspired B. B. King to say, "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats."

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Green_(musician)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Jp Propaganda - Sparks
Recycled - Nektar

Bupie

On repeat ...

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2013-10-09, 18:13:04
Sounds to me like a lot of guitar stuff they were doing back in the 50's and 60's.

It's supposed to sound like guitar stuff from the 50's/60's. It's from a video game "Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater" which takes place in early 1960's.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2013-10-09, 18:13:04
I find The Supernatural far more subtle and original, Paxi  ;)

And think about calling a song The Supernatural in them days, when everything was about pining luuuuuv, and why did you leave me ?

Well, special for you, cuz I thought you'd like'm, and for the simple reason that nobody else plays the links I post (well, occasionally Teunis and Cap)  ::)

It is very subtle indeed. It's nice, but it doesn't make me want to run to the shops to buy some of his albums...

Just played:
Porcupine Tree - "On The Sunday Of Life"
I never really listened carefully enough to this album. Some pieces are really nice, most of it is just not good. And the ending of And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun was really creepy... :o

Porcupine Tree - "Up The Downstair"
This album is already much better. Although for me, it all really started with "The Sky Moves Sideways".

Porcupine Tree - "Voyage 34"
Not much of an album, more an EP really. I like it. It's crazy.

Now playing:
Nothing at the moment. A little bit of silence once in a while is ok too.

funkster

North Atlantic Oscillation - Fog electric

Post rock/prog sort of stuff and highly recommended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAhSSeR8j0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMPe7pdj6Kw

Draco chimera

Quote from: funkster on Thu, 2013-10-10, 14:58:50
North Atlantic Oscillation - Fog electric

Post rock/prog sort of stuff and highly recommended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAhSSeR8j0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMPe7pdj6Kw
Cool stuff indeed, I like it  :)
Let your conscience decide !

Iggy

Criminal Record - Rick Wakeman one of his finest imo.

funkster

I trawl the megahertz by Paddy Mcaloon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Trawl_the_Megahertz

Fascinating story beyond the album and perfect late night music