News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Steve Jones

Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two.

Having been eagerly anticipating this release for a while now, I'm pleased to say it's even better than I expected - gobsmackingly good prog.  Comparisons are difficult, the closest I can get is 'Frank Zappa plays 70s prog' which probably isn't a lot of use.  But the main thing that defines Beardfish to my ears is their quirky sound and playful, almost humorous song structures.  This reminds me more of Zappa than any of the Genesis/Yes/Greenslade/Floyd/insert-prog-supergroup-of-choice benchmarks that tend to be used.

Well worth checking out and potentially very rewarding if the style clicks with you.  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Draco chimera

I finished Through our windows, Conscience.
Now Ill listen to State Of Grace.
Let your conscience decide !

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

NP  Genesis:  Calling All Stations

Nice songs, and Ray sings nicely, but basically a disappointment. There's no prog left in Genesis at this point. Considering that this is the group that created Lamb and Duke  ::)

Ray said that the reason he couldnt continue with Mike and Tony was that he experienced himself as a "working-class" guy who just wanted to make good music, while the other guys were way into their polo clubs and classy lifestyle. Explains.

Man, do I miss Peter & Steve here.

Mike was never much of a guitarist, and he's eager to make some good rhythms, which he does succeed with, while Tony devises some nice melody and atmosphere ... and I guess that's it.

Floyd lost a lot of their bite when Roger left, but still there's a lot more prog in Lapse and Bell than in Calling.

Anyone think that I'm too harsh ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

NP Dream Theater - As I Am
     Sonata Arctica - The Power of One
     Symphony X - Out of the Ashes

To begin the week at full speed  8)

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 09:53:09
Anyone think that I'm too harsh ?

Not particularly, no.  'Calling all Stations' is a reasonable album, nice even, but Prog has left the building.

I had intended to get it out and play it again, prompted by hearing Ray on the RPWL live album, but haven't gotten around to it as yet – and there's the rub as far as I'm concerned.  The longer I've been into music and the more albums I've bought, the less likely any individual album is to be played.  It's not that 'Calling all Stations' isn't Prog (today I've played ZZ Top and Toto, for example, who are both completely un-Prog) but that it's only 'reasonable' or 'nice'.  I'm more likely to reach for something that is awesome, stunning, jaw-dropping, sh*t-kicking, gob-smacking or good old prog-tastic.  And these days I'm spoilt for choice...

NP: Thomas Dolby – Gate to the Mind's Eye
Regards, Steve Jones

Teunis

Clive Nolan - Skeletons in the Cupboard

7. Jigsaw
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Mon, 2008-05-26, 11:15:34
I'm more likely to reach for something that is awesome, stunning, jaw-dropping, sh*t-kicking, gob-smacking or good old prog-tastic.  And these days I'm spoilt for choice...

Right, Steve, there's so much great music being made these days.

Btw how come none of you guys are listening to Caamora She. Do you know who Clive Nolan is ?  ;)

Quote from: Steve Jones on Mon, 2008-05-26, 11:15:34
NP: Thomas Dolby – Gate to the Mind's Eye

Never heard of the guy. What does he do ?

NP  Genesis:  Calling All Stations

Still waiting for something exciting to happen ... still waitin ..... With any other group I would have given up a long time ago, but with Genesis, hm, one kinda feels some reverence, dunno .....

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

NP  DT:  When Dream ...

Status Seeker is a real great song. The rest is pretty good too. And it's DT. It's just that, hm, Charlie Dominici doesn't really fit in. For me the singer of DT is Jamie. I'm considering getting the Reunite bootleg. Anyone here knows both albums ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 12:34:09
Btw how come none of you guys are listening to Caamora She. Do you know who Clive Nolan is ?  ;)

So many albums, so little time money.  :(  It's on my 'buy soon' list but has been there for a while now.  :-[

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 12:34:09
Never heard of the guy. What does he do ?

1980s synth-pop wizard.  Singles include 'Hyperactive', 'Airhead' etc.

NP: UK - Danger Money
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

NP  Mike + The Mechanics  (debut, 1985)

This Mike has the surname Rutherford. That's why I bought the album. I actually find it significantly better than Calling All Stations. There's more melody and excitement. It's also from a time when Genesis were still making great music.

What strikes me is that Mike makes such catchy rhythms. I always thought that it was Phil who drew Genesis in that direction, but it seems that Mike had at least as much influence.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 12:57:48
NP  DT:  When Dream ...

Status Seeker is a real great song. The rest is pretty good too. And it's DT. It's just that, hm, Charlie Dominici doesn't really fit in. For me the singer of DT is Jamie. I'm considering getting the Reunite bootleg. Anyone here knows both albums ?

Nicky.

Yep, and my advice would be to get When Dream And Day Reunite as soon as possible! I think it's far superior to the studio-album. Sound-quality wise it's a 100% improvement so that should be your main reason to buy this one. Another reason is that some songs on this cd/dvd are extended as well. For example The Killing Hand. I think this one is already outstanding on the studio-album but now they added several guitar/keyboard parts which make this song even better. Only a shame that James didn't quite nail the high note at the end of the song but that's only a very minor complaint. The last (but not least!) reason to get this bootleg is the fun the guys seem to have playing it. And of course Derek Sherinian and Charlie Dominici joining on stage to play Metropolis pt.1 and To Live Forever!!

Hope that helps Nick!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Steve Jones

Spock's Beard - Spock's Beard.  Awesome stuff, I love the way the drums power along at the start of 'Skeletons at the Feast'  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 09:53:09NP  Genesis:  Calling All Stations
8)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 09:53:09Nice songs, and Ray sings nicely, but basically a disappointment.
???

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 09:53:09There's no prog left in Genesis at this point. Considering that this is the group that created Lamb and Duke  ::)
For me Calling All Stations (which I would abbreviate "CAS", but thanks to all the Marillionheads here......) is MUCH more enjoyable than "Genesis" or "Invisible Touch". I'm still thinking whether I would rate "We Can't Dance" higher than "Calling All Stations".

I agree, up till Duke everything was GREAT! (With the two last Peter albums and the two first Phil albums being the best in my opinion)
But with Abacab and what came after that, I would probably say this:

1. We Can't Dance (five good songs)
2. Calling All Stations
3. Abacab (with three good songs (of which one is no prog at all))
4. Invisible Touch (four good songs)
5. Genesis (three good songs (or two, depending on what you do with Home By The Sea)

Of course I wouldn't be a Genesis fan as I wouldn't say that I like all albums. And I DO like all albums, but... ah well... y'know...

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 09:53:09Ray said that the reason he couldnt continue with Mike and Tony was that he experienced himself as a "working-class" guy who just wanted to make good music, while the other guys were way into their polo clubs and classy lifestyle. Explains.
Yeah... Tony and (especially) Mike were not really into it anymore. They sacked Ray Wilson because they didn't sell as much as with "We Can't Dance" (but still enough to set up a whole country in Africa...).

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 09:53:09Man, do I miss Peter & Steve here.
Heh, I was just playing an album from Peter Gabriel... He went Pop as soon as he left Genesis, while Genesis kept the torch burning till at the very least two albums after Gabriels departure.
Which leaves us with Steve Hackett. But boy, did he get crazy! He kept progressing a lot until there was no melody left in his music... At least, from what I heard of it. Please please correct me if I'm wrong... Anyway, I think it would've been cool if Steve did never leave Genesis. He probably would have kept it in balance.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 09:53:09Mike was never much of a guitarist, and he's eager to make some good rhythms, which he does succeed with, while Tony devises some nice melody and atmosphere ... and I guess that's it.
I think you're right... Why they didn't recruit a guitarist is beyond me.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 17:42:48
NP  Mike + The Mechanics  (debut, 1985)

This Mike has the surname Rutherford. That's why I bought the album. I actually find it significantly better than Calling All Stations. There's more melody and excitement. It's also from a time when Genesis were still making great music.
Which proves a totally different point of view on Genesis' music from that time (but it's ok Nicky! ;). 1985 is a year which lies in between what I think of as the two worst Genesis albums. (which is still always better than most crap that leaves our speakers when we put on the radio...)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-05-26, 17:42:48What strikes me is that Mike makes such catchy rhythms. I always thought that it was Phil who drew Genesis in that direction, but it seems that Mike had at least as much influence.
Yup, that's definitely true. Let's take a look at the album Abacab:
"Me And Sarah Jane" was written by Tony, while Phil wrote "Man On The Corner" and "Like It Or Not" is coming from Mike. "Me And Sarah Jane" is the proggiest. I think "Man On The Corner" is (not prog but) a nice song. Very emotional. Totally Collins indeed. But "Like It Or Not" is more a "Not" than a "Like It", for me...

And Ray Wilson has a very good voice. Much more rock (RAWK!) than lil' Phil's. Leave the fills to Phil, the rock to Ray. (hehehe joke hehehe)
If you haven't heard his solo albums, I'd say CHECK IT OUT! The new(-ish) Stiltskin album is excellent. I think it will suit your taste, Nicky. Much more RAWK! than anything Genesis has ever done.

-Paco

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2008-05-26, 21:46:58
If you haven't heard his solo albums, I'd say CHECK IT OUT! The new(-ish) Stiltskin album is excellent. I think it will suit your taste, Nicky. Much more RAWK! than anything Genesis has ever done.

Ahh thanks for reminding me Paco! :)

NP: Ray Wilson & Stiltskin - Taking Time

*horns*

Tom

Deenfan

My take on a couple of the mentioned...

When dream and day unite is magic. It is unique, special in every way, and lyrical heaven. :-*

Calling all stations is a good album because it's got a lot of good songs being sung by a very good singer. But they shouldn't have quick-faded every song. It sounds cheap and half-hearted, not to mention how they actually manage to fade out a song just as it starts to get really good!!! ???

I'm listening to Kamelot - That opera thing

Steve Jones

Genesis - Land of Confusion EP.  I don't know if it's prog, but I like it!  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Genesis - 'Shipwrecked' single.  Not really prog in itself, but it does have a live extract of Supper's Ready - and you don't get much more prog than that  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two.  I can't stop playing this one, it's seriously prog.  Double prog with extra prog and little bits of prog sprinkled on top.  Did I mention it was prog?  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2008-05-27, 02:02:35
My take on a couple of the mentioned...

OK, Deenie, I got it now:  You're the s/m type who needs to go thru hell to get to heaven:

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2008-05-27, 02:02:35
I'm listening to Kamelot - That opera thing

;D

I just say:  Good that you and I dont share the same hifi  ::)

Man, how can you prefer WDADU. Jamie's maybe not the best singer around (i.a. Khan is better), but he's much better than Charlie D, who sounds like he just got his b*s chopped off. And lyrically the later DT albums are sooo much better, but OK, they're about fate, love, sin, suffering, redemption, soulmates, and other dull matters  ;)

NP  Genesis:  We Can't Dance

I can't say that it really grips me, but it does get better with several listens.

This is kinda the doin my homework thingy.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Listening to some Sabbat stuff on Youtube - metal tastic  *horns*

Plus the new songs from The Zutons and Alphabeat - not even clsoe to metal but great pop

The Butterfly Man

NP: Demians - The Perfect Symmetry

Anyone have their debut-album 'Building An Empire? I got it 2 weeks ago and since then not a day has passed without listening to it. Great stuff! If you like Porcupine Tree you're gonna definately like this as well. Not saying they are ripping of PT though...

Oh and Nicky, have you ordered When Dream And Day Reunite already after reading my comments on it? :P

Tom

Steve Jones

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2008-05-27, 13:07:18
If you like Porcupine Tree you're gonna definately like this as well.

Noted.  Thanks for the tip.  8)

Edit: just ordered a copy following a favourable myspace audition.

NP: RPWL - Start the Fire (Live)
Regards, Steve Jones

Bupie

NP Joe Jackson - Happy Ending

Yes, not prog, I know ...