News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Transatlantic is back!!!

Started by maddox, Wed, 2009-08-26, 20:38:41

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Gotha be quick before Tom will do this!!!  ;D

A friend of mine saw this upon the MP forum.

"For Immediate Release
August 26th 2009

TRANSATLANTIC'S THE WHIRLWIND
Coming in October!!

TRANSATLANTIC – the Progressive Rock Supergroup featuring DREAM THEATER's Mike Portnoy, MARILLION's Pete Trewavas, THE FLOWER KINGS' Roine Stolt and Neal Morse (Ex-SPOCK'S BEARD) – will release their long-awaited third album in October 2009.

THE WHIRLWIND is a 77-minute piece of music that is sure to satisfy the band's legions of fans that have patiently waited almost the entire decade for the reunion of these 4 musicians.

THE WHIRLWIND will be available in two formats:
A Regular Edition Single CD of the entire 77 minute Epic as well as a 2-CD Special Edition containing a Bonus Disc with 8 newly recorded Studio Tracks.
(4 new Transatlantic compositions and 4 Cover Songs)

The Track Listing for the Special Edition is:

Disc One:
THE WHIRLWIND

Disc Two:
1. SPINNING
2. LENNY JOHNSON
3. FOR SUCH A TIME
4. LENDING A HAND
5. THE RETURN OF THE GIANT HOGWEED (Genesis)
6. A SALTY DOG (Procol Harum)
7. I NEED YOU (America / The Beatles)
8. SOUL SACRIFICE (Santana)

TRANSATLANTIC'S THE WHIRLWIND is currently scheduled for the following release dates:

October 23rd 2009: Germany, Austria, Switzerland
October 26th 2009: Europe
October 27th 2009: North America

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2399307.aspx
"

This will be a nice birthday present, i can tell you.  *horns*
One giant epic? Wow.  :o :o :o

Like the covers on the bonus disc by the way.

Anyone with me?  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Manatee

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2009-08-26, 20:38:41
Like the covers on the bonus disc by the way.

Anyone with me?  8)

I'm psyched for it.  Covers look interesting, especially Hogweed, which is one of my fave Genesis songs.  Hopefully they'll see fit to release this one in North America at the same time as elsewhere.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Steve Jones

Anyone with me?  8)

Betcharass! 8) *horns* *horns* *horns*

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2009-08-26, 20:57:28
Hopefully they'll see fit to release this one in North America at the same time as elsewhere.

Dates are in Mad's post - seems like you won't have to wait too long this time :o
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Iggy

PH

:o wwwwwwoooooooooooooooooowwwwww :o

Whooohooohohohohoooooooooo.....

I just... I can't... I don't know... wow

Just wow for now! ;D

The Butterfly Man

Gotha be quick before Tom will do this!!!  ;D

As you may know I'm also active on the Mike Portnoy forum and as soon as I read it there I rushed to this place to inform my fellow Roomies...only to find out I was beaten by Mad. :-\

;D

Tom

There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Just look at that wonderful artwork.
It looks fantastic!

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-08-26, 21:15:28
Dates are in Mad's post - seems like you won't have to wait too long this time :o

Ah, so they are.  I blipped over that.  Superficially, it looked too much like a gig list, which I've gotten in the habit of ignoring since they're invariably in places that I'd have to cross an ocean to get to.   :-\   I guess one day after most of the rest of you will do, especially since Amazon seems to ship stuff the day before the release date if you preorder (probably since that still means nobody will have it in hand before the official date).

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-08-27, 06:49:29
Amazon seems to ship stuff the day before the release date if you preorder (probably since that still means nobody will have it in hand before the official date).

Yes indeed.  A feature I particularly liked and the reason I used to preorder most stuff from Amazon.  Unfortunately, in the UK at least, a lot of preordered stuff now seems to go straight to backorder and doesn't turn up until a week or two after the official date! >:(
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2009-08-27, 10:14:49
Yes indeed.  A feature I particularly liked and the reason I used to preorder most stuff from Amazon.  Unfortunately, in the UK at least, a lot of preordered stuff now seems to go straight to backorder and doesn't turn up until a week or two after the official date! >:(

Fortunately, I live in a nation of savages who wouldn't know good music if it bit them on the arse, so in those cases when they bother to release prog albums here at all, there seems to be ample supply to fill the preorders.

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-08-27, 11:46:49
Fortunately, I live in a nation of savages who wouldn't know good music if it bit them on the arse ...

Greenie, if you'd go out on Amazon.com and read the customer reviews, you'd realise that your country has by far the most people who know good music  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-08-27, 13:51:35
Greenie, if you'd go out on Amazon.com and read the customer reviews, you'd realise that your country has by far the most people who know good music  8)

Nicky.

Last time I checked, it was also the biggest country...

Nicky007

Wiki - List of countries by population:

Rank   Country                        Population 

1  People's Republic of China  1,332,620,000
2  India                                 1,168,160,000
3  United States                        307,246,000
4  Indonesia                             229,965,000 
5  Brazil                                   191,762,000

As far as I know, there aint been no major demographic migration from China and India to the States lately. I think Greenie and Aswas would'v noticed, and commented  ;D

But seriously, even if you consider population, the States are pretty good with prog, both artists and listeners.

For us adventurous proggies  ;) ;D  most of the new stuff comes from the States these days - unless you consider a new keyboard warble here and there in a Genesis cover a groundbreaking innovation  :D

But OK, there are some bustles in the hedgerow now even in Denmark, e.g. The Arcane Order  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

2/4 of TransAtlantic is from the United States.
And we're back on topic! ;)

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-08-27, 13:51:35
Nicky.

I often have done so, and sure, lots of the reviews are by Americans, although as it happens, I think the reviewer I most respect (seen him with very good insights on quite a few albums) is from Turkey.  Also, I could be wrong about this, but I figured that it was skewed because it was the Amazon U.S. site, although perhaps the reviews are viewable from all Amazon sites, I dunno.  Anyway, as mentioned, although we're nowhere near the most populous country, we are the most populous in the "western world," so sure, it stands to reason that lots of the responses will come from here.  Let's not lose sight of the fact that many of the reviewers are complete morons too though.   ;)   Really I was mostly joking -- I understand that only a small percentage of people in any nation appreciate good music, not just mine.  I do beg to differ about most of the good new prog (adventurous or otherwise) coming out of the U.S. though.  I still find that most of the new finds that excite me are European.  Part of the reason for our differing views is almost certainly that our "core" interests in prog are not the same.  It's clear that you're most interested in prog metal, although you do appreciate some non-metal.   My biggest interest would be categorized something like "classic prog/neo-prog/symphonic prog," although similarly, I do appreciate some metal (especially if it comes from someone named Devin).

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-08-27, 14:43:18
Wiki - List of countries by population:

Rank   Country                        Population 

1  People's Republic of China  1,332,620,000
2  India                                 1,168,160,000
3  United States                        307,246,000
4  Indonesia                             229,965,000 
5  Brazil                                   191,762,000

As far as I know, there aint been no major demographic migration from China and India to the States lately. I think Greenie and Aswas would'v noticed, and commented  ;D

But seriously, even if you consider population, the States are pretty good with prog, both artists and listeners.

For us adventurous proggies  ;) ;D  most of the new stuff comes from the States these days - unless you consider a new keyboard warble here and there in a Genesis cover a groundbreaking innovation  :D
Nicky.

Those numbers are about what I'd have expected, although I didn't realize Indonesia was bigger than Brazil.  The only migrations I'm aware of between us and China and India are migrations out of here: money to China and tech jobs to India.

As best as I can tell, your definition of "adventurous" basically equates to extreme metal.  While that's a legitimate interest, I think there are those among us who are plenty adventurous in different directions.  I would be delighted to find an undiscovered Gazpacho in the U.S., but for the most part, I haven't yet.  Also, one can go on adventures from time to time that don't work out as well as one might have hoped.   ;)

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2009-08-27, 15:29:59
2/4 of TransAtlantic is from the United States.
And we're back on topic! ;)

Yes, even I knew that despite not being a huge fan of some of their bands.  They're a talented bunch and no mistake, from both sides of the pond.

To stay on topic a bit more, I definitely intend to get the enhanced version -- the covers should be fun, and for all we know, some of the bonus originals might turn out to be among their best.  Since special editions are usually priced not much (if at all) higher than the regular editions at initial release time, I'd say getting the bonus disc should be a no-brainer.

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-08-26, 22:12:42
As you may know I'm also active on the Mike Portnoy forum and as soon as I read it there I rushed to this place to inform my fellow Roomies...only to find out I was beaten by Mad. :-\

;D

Tom

Yeah, i knew that.  ;D

I just had to be reeeaaalyy quick this time.  :D

Next time i keep the ball in your corner.  ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-08-27, 18:03:53
I think the reviewer I most respect (seen him with very good insights on quite a few albums) is from Turkey.

Yeah, that's Murat Batmaz. I call him Batman - he was tickled by that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AK8B26S9ATCN7/ref=cm_pdp_ccp_contacts_name

I pm'd with him for a while a year ago, got to know a bit about his family, job, and friends in Istanbul and environs. Our correspondence faded out cause he was very busy, probably still is. He spends a lotta time writing reviews, and he really is good, as you said, Greenie. What's amazing is that the guy's only in his twenties, and Turkish, altho an English teacher. You'd think you were reading reviews by a much older person.

Cause he likes Arena too, I recommended him to become a member of the Room, which he did, but he didnt get around to writing any substantial stuff here.

But if anyone greets him from the Room, I'm sure he'd like that.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but I figured that it was skewed because it was the Amazon U.S. site, although perhaps the reviews are viewable from all Amazon ...

The American Amazon site is by far the best. I almost always go there. If I'm eager for more info, I go to Amazon-UK. Occasionally I'l hook up to the German and French Amazon sites, usually to get info about resp. German and French stuff. The Japanese Amazon doesnt do much for me  ;D

When I wrote reviews for Amazon, I put them in both the American and UK sites.

Greenie, maybe you'd like to read my reviews. I wrote quite extensive reviews for Ten and Steve Vai, which may whet your appetite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A88MRQ0UXD16Y?ie=UTF8&ref%5F=sv%5Fys%5F4

It looks like you and I are pretty much the only active Roomies who read Amazon reviews regularly  ???

Let's not lose sight of the fact that many of the reviewers are complete morons too though.

Except what's so surprising is that Amazon reviews generally hold very high standards !

That's why I like going there.

The morons go other places, like the Nevermore site  ::)

As best as I can tell, your definition of "adventurous" basically equates to extreme metal.

:P

Nope, not quite:  My definition of "adventurous" is being adventurous, trying out new things, and persevering, i.e. not giving up to casual sym- and antipathies.

An excellent example of this is growl. When I first encountered growl, I also thought, like any normal person (who doesnt have a Frankenstein monster at home): How disgusting, how can anyone in their right mind fill up an album with that ridiculous stuff. But I persevered - and the fruits of my patience are that I can enjoy Opeth, Scar Symmetry, The Arcane Order, and a lotta other fabulous groups that my life would be far less rich without.

But being adventurous also means listening properly to Jeff Buckley's Grace ... and slowly realising that here's an artist graced with divine genius.

Or for that matter, taking experienced proggies' tips and links to e.g. great CC stuff (  :P Paxi ).

Being adventurous is very much a matter of buddying with other adventurous people, like Batman  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-08-28, 12:28:20
Yeah, that's Murat Batmaz. I call him Batman - he was tickled by that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AK8B26S9ATCN7/ref=cm_pdp_ccp_contacts_name

I pm'd with him for a while a year ago, got to know a bit about his family, job, and friends in Istanbul and environs. Our correspondence faded out cause he was very busy, probably still is. He spends a lotta time writing reviews, and he really is good, as you said, Greenie. What's amazing is that the guy's only in his twenties, and Turkish, altho an English teacher. You'd think you were reading reviews by a much older person.

Cause he likes Areno too, I recommended him to become a member of the Room, which he did, but he didnt get around to writing any substantial stuff here.

But if anyone greets him from the Room, I'm sure he'd like that.

The American Amazon site is by far the best. I almost always go there. If I'm eager for more info, I go to Amazon-UK. Occasionally I'l hook into to the German and French Amazon sites, usually to get info about resp. German and French stuff. The Japanese Amazon doesnt do much for me  ;D

When I wrote reviews for Amazon, I put them in both the American and UK sites.

Greenie, maybe you'd like to read my reviews. I wrote quite extensive reviews for Ten and Steve Vai, which may whet your appetite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A88MRQ0UXD16Y?ie=UTF8&ref%5F=sv%5Fys%5F4

It looks like you and I are pretty much the only active Roomies who read Amazon reviews regularly  ???

Nicky.

I spend a lot of time reading Amazon reviews.

And I already read your review of Ten  ;D. And then I bought it.  ;D

I've also read many of  Murat Batmaz reviews but until I clicked on his profile I hadn't linked them together. He is a busy lad isn't he?

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2009-08-28, 12:46:53
I spend a lot of time reading Amazon reviews.

Great, Iggy  8)

You never mentioned it before tho. But then again, you are a quiet lad, aren't you?  ;)

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2009-08-28, 12:46:53
And I already read your review of Ten  ;D. And then I bought it.  ;D

In the future, I'l send you my reviews for free, Iggy  ;D

But I'm happy that I could inspire you to buy an album by one of the most misunderstood and underrated groups on this planet  :(

Tell me, but in another thread, whadaya think of The Essential Collection ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

I also read many reviews.
ProgArchives, Progwereld, Musicmeter.nl (take them with a pinch of salt though...) and, indeed, Amazon.

Often it makes me enjoy the music a lot more. Some people really know how to say things.

I haven't read a review about TransAtlantic's coming release though...
*desperately trying to get back on topic again* ;D

The Butterfly Man

This is just in from Mike Portnoy:

THE WHIRLWIND will also be available in a 3 DISC Deluxe Edition!! The Deluxe edition contains the Special Edition as well as a 105 minute long "Making Of" DVD and comes in a box with special artwork. This is the ultimate Transatlantic experience. Watch them make the album as you listen to it!

SPECIAL OFFER:
Be among the first 200 people to pre-order from radiantrecords.com and enter a drawing to win the Transatlantic "Whirlwind" Note board. This is the board that Mike Portnoy wrote sections of the album on as they were writing it.

To own this little piece of rock history, pre-order now!! Drawing will take place on October 27 2009.

ANOTHER SPECIAL OFFER!!
Pre-order Transatlantic's THE WHIRLWIND from Radiant Records and receive a FREE DOWNLOAD of their version of the Genesis classic "Return of the Giant Hogweed".

Oh, and there is a little trailer for the new album to be seen here: http://bandwidth.csrtechnologies.com/RadiantRecords/new_trailor.php

*horns*

Tom

maddox

That's good news indeed, Tom.  8)

Bupie

Just preordered the 2cds + 1 DVD edition on Amazon  *horns*

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2009-09-29, 10:12:43

I won't pre-order. I want to be able to have it on the day the album is released... ;)

Tom

maddox

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2009-09-29, 10:12:43

Me too!  *horns*

Though not via Amazon.  ;)