News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Bands you've got most albums by...

Started by Steve Jones, Sat, 2009-05-16, 22:26:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Jones

Being an anoraky kind of guy, these things just fall out of the database...

Top ten bands by album ownership.  Includes CD & download equivalents, but excludes vinyl and singles.

53   T. Rex
50   Jethro Tull
46   Marillion
41   Deep Purple
29   Yes
29   Hammill, Peter
27   Rush
26   Bowie, David
26   Ozric Tentacles
23   Genesis

I'm suprised Marillion aren't top, to be honest.  I wonder if I've got everything entered in the geek-o-matic? ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Manatee

"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

maddox

Goodness gracious, i have no idea!
I presume Dream Theater but that would include bootlegs as well but i've got a lot of Genesis too for instance. Or Pink Floyd.

Must search and most of all, count the Mad's Database.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

bellanova

I guess it has to be Beethoven!! Lol....Inherited from my mum but they are all by different orchestras/ string quartets etc.
Rock wise i guess it has to be Asia i have most albums by although most are from the John Payne era. I have most Porcupine Tree albums too.

Teunis

Toto (20+) albums, followed by Pendragon. The other (prog) bands I like haven't released that much albums, unfortunately  ;D.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

The Butterfly Man

1: Dream Theater : 43 items. I only included the official releases (official bootlegs as well) otherwise I'm sure I would easily surpass the 100-mark (yes really!).
2: Marillion: 40 items
3: Arena: 22 items

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Manatee

I'm a bit puzzled by all this.  I already knew Steve had a big collection, but I would never have guessed that there were anything approaching 53 T. Rex albums to be had, and even counting all the Arena items listed in the Verglas store and including EPs and DVDs, I can't locate 22.  My biggest lists, probably R.E.M. and Genesis, might possibly scrape up a total of 20 if I include compilations and EPs (I assume counting double for ones I have on both LP and CD is not allowed).  What am I missing?

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Manatee on Sun, 2009-05-17, 20:05:45
...counting all the Arena items listed in the Verglas store and including EPs and DVDs, I can't locate 22. 

Well, see for yourself, here is my Arena-collection:

- Songs From The Lions Cage
- Pride
- The Edits
- The Cry (EP)
- Welcome To The Stage
- Welcome (Back!) To The Stage (fanclub-cd)
- The Visitor
- The Visitor Revisited (fanclub-cd)
- Immortal?
- Unlocking The Cage (fanclub-cd)
- Breakfast In Biarritz
- Contagion (promotional copy)
- Contagion
- Contagious (EP)
- Contagium (EP)
- Caught In The Act (DVD)
- Radiance (fanclub-cd)
- Live & Life
- Pepper's Ghost (promotional copy)
- Pepper's Ghost
- Smoke & Mirrors (DVD)
- Ten Years On

Tom

maddox

Which means that you're cheating, Tom.  ;D

The question was 'most Albums'. Caught and Smoke are no albums, i'm sure you know that as well.  :D

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2009-05-17, 20:11:35

- Pride
- The Edits
- The Cry (EP)
- Welcome To The Stage
- The Visitor
- Immortal?
- Breakfast In Biarritz
- Contagion
- Contagious (EP)
- Contagium (EP)
- Radiance (fanclub-cd)
- Live & Life
- Pepper's Ghost
- Smoke & Mirrors (DVD)
- Ten Years On

Tom

From that list, i miss the underlined ones.
I'm not really searching for the promotional-editions but if someone can help me with the Fan-clup cd's (especially Welcome Back) i'd be eternally thankful.  :D

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2009-05-17, 20:15:48

The question was 'most Albums'. Caught and Smoke are no albums, i'm sure you know that as well.  :D

Okay fine, then I have 20 Arena-albums! ;D

Tom

Manatee

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2009-05-17, 20:11:35

- Pride
- The Edits
- The Cry (EP)
- Welcome To The Stage
- The Visitor
- Immortal?
- Breakfast In Biarritz
- Contagion
- Contagious (EP)
- Contagium (EP)
- Radiance (fanclub-cd)
- Live & Life
- Pepper's Ghost
- Smoke & Mirrors (DVD)
- Ten Years On

Tom

Hmm, it would seem I need to join some fan club and become friends with people who distribute promotional copies.   ;D

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Sun, 2009-05-17, 20:05:45
I would never have guessed that there were anything approaching 53 T. Rex albums to be had

T. Rex are a bit of anomaly for me as they were the first band I ever got into back in the very early 70s and I've had a bit of a collector thing going over the years.  There are very few I actually play, as I said it's more of a collector thing.  Other bands, of course, I play to death! ;D

The other thing with T. Rex is the catalogue has been milked and re-milked over the years.  As well as many CD of unreleased/demo stuff (8 volumes of the 'Unchained' series, just to name one) there have been the usual anniversary editions, live albums, TV program soundtracks, etc, etc.  I gave up collecting them around the turn of the century as I got fed up of buying the same tracks in a slightly different order.  I've since had the sign saying 'sucker' surgically removed from my head ;)

I count myself lucky to have seen T. Rex/Bolan before he died, and he put on a damn good show.  He also had The Damned as support, which was cool *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Bupie

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-05-16, 22:40:39
:o :o :o :o :o

I would even say :

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2009-05-17, 15:23:58
Toto (20+) albums, followed by Pendragon. The other (prog) bands I like haven't released that much albums, unfortunately  ;D.

Toto : more than 20 ? What am I missing  ??? I am only up to 18 with all their official releases (19 if you include the Dune soundtrack).

Back to Steve's initial question : I am not a sucker for bootlegs but I like to have the complete official discography of my favorite bands. Which means that I have all Toto, Kansas and Dream Theater studio and live albums. I also have most of Marillion' studio albums (just missing .Com and Happiness). But to show that I am not a collector, when I purchased the two cds remastered versions of Marillion's albums, I gave or sold the single cd original versions.

bellanova

In that case, i have  19 Arena items and that includes no promo copies!! But then they are my favourite band!

Nicky007

The bands I have most albums by are classic bands with a big catalog. Now I aint gonna count my cd's, partly cause I have some lent out, and partly cause I'm at the library. You'r gonna have to make do with a prose account.

I have all Floyd studio and movie soundtrack albums, and most live albums, plus all solo-albums by the guys, except Rick Wright's first (which I'l get sometime (hard to find)). That'l be some 40-50 albums.

All Zep albums (+ a couple of great live dvd's), all Robert Plant and Jimmy Page albums, over 20.

All Queen studio albums minus two, incl. The Cosmos Rocks, and Brian May's Back To The Light.

All Yes albums minus one (also several live albums), plus all Jon and Vangelis.

All Genesis except the first two and last two, plus several Hackett's and Gabriel's.

All official Arena studio and live albums, plus Caamora She, Kino, and Milliontown.

All DT (except first, can't stand the vocals), Nevermore, Tool, PT, and Spock's studio albums

All Threshold, Pearl Jam, and over ten Marillion (all Fish and most H) albums too.

All Queensrÿche from The Warning to OM II, plus one live.

All Zep, and Beatles from Rubber Soul on.

That should cover my biggest single-band collections.

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2009-05-17, 23:54:38
... as I got fed up of buying the same tracks in a slightly different order.

;D ;D ;D

Nicky.

So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Teunis

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2009-05-18, 10:53:20
Toto : more than 20 ? What am I missing  ??? I am only up to 18 with all their official releases (19 if you include the Dune soundtrack).
Indeed, Dune is included and two bootlegs: 'Runaway' and 'Papa Was A Sexy Dancer'  ;D
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2009-05-18, 20:02:24
Indeed, Dune is included and two bootlegs: 'Runaway' and 'Papa Was A Sexy Dancer'  ;D

Dune?
The Movie?
Did TOTO did the soundtrack?  ???

PH

Hmmm...
I guess I'm not much of a completist after all.
To be honest, I only do studio albums... :-[
I have all studio albums of Dream Theater (except the very first one).
I guess that's the band that I've got the most albums of.

Manatee

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2009-05-18, 21:34:51
Hmmm...
I guess I'm not much of a completist after all.
To be honest, I only do studio albums... :-[

I think Genesis cured me of being a completist (while I was still buying them on vinyl).  I had to have everything of theirs since they were my favorite band, but then when they finally became pretty much just a pop band (ok, I held out hope for another album or two after that), I finally didn't bother to get the last couple.  I skipped a couple of recent R.E.M. albums too (although I got the most recent, and while not a total return to form, it's pretty good), not because they'd become poppy, but just because the stuff they had been putting out at the time was frankly not very good.  Neil Young is someone I like a lot, who I was never a completist with.  He's got some wonderful stuff, but he's always been hit and miss as far as his albums go (and he's got a lot of them).

I'm with you somewhat on the only studio album thing -- I do get an occasional live album, but I'm usually in no hurry to get those unless they've got a good bit of unreleased material or have gotten raves as great performances.  I find that prog bands especially often sound much the same on live recordings as they do on the studio versions.  That's both good and bad -- it means the musicians live are living up to the high standards they set in the studio, but it also means that if you have the studio version, the live one may not be "essential" to have as well.  I've read (although I do not own the live one) that IQ's live Subterranea sounds almost exactly the same as the studio album -- certainly not a bad way to sound, but do we need them both?  As with all such pronouncements, there are exceptions, of course -- Jethro Tull's Bursting Out is a great live album, largely because Ian Anderson's showmanship and personality come through.  Also, this may be less true with prog metal since the nature of the music may make it more natural to "rock out" live.  Anyway, I'm not saying live albums are bad; I'm just sort of agreeing with Paco (assuming this is what he meant) that if you've got the songs on a studio album, that is often enough.

erik

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2009-05-16, 22:26:47
Top ten bands by album ownership.  Includes CD & download equivalents, but excludes vinyl and singles.

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2009-05-17, 20:15:48

Ok, so no DVD's and singles, but live albums (and EP's as well?) included. Well, here we go:

1. 55 Marillion; counting the 6 disc box sets Early Stages and Curtain Call each as 1

2. 24 Genesis; counting the 4 and 3 disc Archive box sets as 1. Haven't given in to the temptation of the new box sets..

3. 19 Arena; including Smoke & Mirrors, cause I have the DVD + CD version ::) , not counting promo's and counting Contagion as 1, which I have in digipack, jewel case and promo..

4. 19 King Crimson; counting the 4 disc Projekcts box as 1

5. 19 Yes; including the AWBH album

6. 16 Rush

7. 13 The Gathering

8. 13 Heather Nova

9. 13 Pendragon

10. 13 Pink Floyd; counting Piper of which I also have a 3-disc promo of the 40th anniversary edition as 1

Runners up are Asia (11), Dream Theater (9), Peter Gabriel (8 ) and Radiohead (8 ). Progressing towards this list are Steve Hackett, Beatles, Saga and VDGG I'm still expanding my collections of.

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2009-05-18, 10:53:20
But to show that I am not a collector, when I purchased the two cds remastered versions of Marillion's albums, I gave or sold the single cd original versions.
Same here ;) Albeit with some reluctance, a) for nostalgia reasons and b) because what they did to the covers for those remasters, reducing the already small cd booklet format even more with that stupid pointless frame. Especially messes up the first 3 Fish era covers that run across both front and back page >:( Anyway, my sister is enjoying the old versions now ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Bupie

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2009-05-18, 20:32:22
Dune?
The Movie?
Did TOTO did the soundtrack?  ???

Yes, the complete one ... but I don't have it.

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2009-05-18, 20:02:24

What songs are on them ? I have an old bootleg tape of an Italian gig from the Turn Back tour (I think) and they play a song called Runaway that's very good indeed. But the sound is terrible so I haven't played this tape for almost twenty years  :P

Quote from: erik on Mon, 2009-05-18, 22:30:29
Anyway, my sister is enjoying the old versions now ;)

That's as good as a gift can be  :)

Manatee

My totals aren't going to be all that impressive unless I can count vinyl and tapes, and in order to do that, I'd have to open the boxes and count them, which is too much work anyway.  I'll just estimate that I have almost 20 each of Genesis and R.E.M., and probably nothing else is even in double digits unless you count solo and side projects.  Devin Townsend will probably break 10 this year if he really puts out 4 albums, which is fairly scary considering I hadn't even heard of him a year and a half ago.  Now that I've once again found some music to be seriously interested in, I'll probably have some totals moving up pretty quickly, but I seriously doubt I will ever come remotely close to Steve's amazing 53 T. Rexes.

Steve Jones

In my original post I wasn't trying to be prescriptive about what others could and couldn't count, merely explaining what I'd done - the fact that I'd excluded vinyl (because I don't use it these days) was, I felt, significant.

As a bit of background, I started to take an interest in these mad statistics when I first signed up to LastFM.  I was gobsmacked by just how much Marillion led the field, being played almost 3 times as often as my next most popular artist :o
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2009-05-19, 10:16:03
In my original post I wasn't trying to be prescriptive about what others could and couldn't count, merely explaining what I'd done - the fact that I'd excluded vinyl (because I don't use it these days) was, I felt, significant.

Fair enough. Counting vinyl wouldn't really change my top numbers very much anyway (assuming you can only count once for having both CD and LP).  I'd gain one R.E.M., because I have Chronic Town by itself, while I only have it as part of Dead Letter Office on CD.  I'm already counting vinyl with my Genesis estimate in the first place, since I'm still in the process of CD replacing those (and probably won't bother with the last few).  What it would do though, is give me a bunch more in the approximately 4-8 range.  Mostly I just would like to have those albums in a readily playable format now since it's difficult and/or expensive to get them all on CD.  I think all my Genesis alumni albums are on vinyl only (and I've got a goodly bunch of those) with the exception of Peter Gabriel's 3rd and 4th solos, which I have to have on CD in case there's an air raid or something.  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2009-05-18, 21:34:51
I have all studio albums of Dream Theater (except the very first one).
I guess that's the band that I've got the most albums of.

You surprise me again and again, Paxi. You don't go for heavy stuff, yet your biggest collection is that of DT. Are you in love with Jamie, or what  ??? ??? ???

TOT and SC are two of the heaviest albums of any band in my collection.

Everything else you have is medium to lite (late Arena being some of the heaviest).

Quote from: Manatee on Mon, 2009-05-18, 22:27:40
... there are exceptions, of course ...

Other notable exceptions are Arena's Live And Life, Queensrÿche's The Art Of Live, and DT´s Score (probably all of their live albums).

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me