News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Ittervoort 4-4-08 - includes spoilers

Started by JJ II, Sat, 2008-04-05, 15:44:13

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ II

Hi all,

What a great night! A sold out gig (350-400 people), very hot and steamy (Mick was sweating a lot!), great atmosphere and an original setlist.

It took about 3 songs to get the sound right (that's always the case when you have a support act), but from then on the band ignited!

It was the first gig so the band was a tiny bit shaky on some songs, especially the 'new' ones, but some of the olders ones got a great receptiion. The audience was singing along, clapping and very involved (considering the temprature). Fortunately, the beer wasn't too expensive  ;D
Even before the band was on stage, some started singing Cry 7....

Of course, most of the favourites were there in the set: Crack, Chosen, Hanging Tree, Breathe, Skin Game and Solomon.

But there were some nice suprises as well: Double Vision made its return after 5 years of absence. Welcome to the Stage and Tears in the Rain have only been played once by Rob and Ian (the '99 tour). Unexpected was the return of Moviedrome (which has only been played once, on the 2000 tour). Considering its length, the track went down very well. It's not my personal favourite (I do like it though!), but I think it was a great choice to give this track a chance again. Some fans were quite emotional about it.

One track was a 'new' bit: On the Edge of Dispair was on the Contagium EP and had never been played live. I love these suprises. I think it would have been wise if Rob had introduced the song, because I saw quite some puzzled faces. The performance was a bit insecure, but I think the vocals (Clive has some prominent backing-vox) offer something special.

Friday's Dream was played acoustically, but slightly different than last year. This time it was Rob and John (instead of Ian) playing it as an encore. Nice song.

Solomon was announced by Clive: "we will play this song only 8 more times and then bury it". Solomon has been in the set on every tour since the release of the first album. I wonder what the new closing anthem will be.

My personal highlights of the evening were the sing-alongs of the set, which was quite a rocky set: Which Witch Hunt, Bedlam Fayre, Crack, Skin Game, along with the great instrumental Riding The Tide and the fragile Tears in the Rain. The audience seemed to like that one a lot.

So is there anything left to desire? Well, I hoped for Opera Fanatica, but I doubt if it will ever be played live. An of course: I'm looking forward to the new album. Writing has begun !

[scroll down for setlist]

Welcome to the Stage
Crack in the Ice
Double Vision
Midas Vision
This Way Madness Lies
On the Edge of Despair
Which Witch Hunt
Skin Game
City of Lanterns
Riding the Tide
Tears in the Rain
Hanging Tree
(Don't Forget to) Breathe
Chosen
Bedlam Fayre
Smoke and Mirrors
Moviedrome
----
Fridays Dream
Solomon
Cry 7

PH

Nice nice nice!

Thanks for the review JJ!

-Paco

Appelmoes??

Thanks for making me enjoy the gig at least a tiny bit, since I couldn't be there :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

AnsOnkruid

My first Arena gig ever, and it was wonderful! Really enjoyed the show. Best birthday present ever <3
They signed my Live & Life , wooohooo! ;D
And they played one chord of the 7th song of the new album. Yeah.

It's a shame they only had xxl t-shirts as I'm only 14 and not that big...

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

Teunis

Thanks for the review JJ II, what a great setlist! Too bad I wasn't there. But it is 'Witch Hunt' instead of 'Which Hunt'  ;). Never mind, we know what you mean. 'Tears in the rain' is such an emotional song, just great!
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2008-04-05, 20:10:56
But it is 'Witch Hunt' instead of 'Which Hunt'  ;)

The question is: Which Witch Hunt ?  ;D

Thanks from me too, JJ  :)

I hope that one day there'l be enough of a fan base in Southern Scandinavia to have a great Arena concert here, but I doubt very much that that's the case pt  :'(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Zeno

What a concert!!! For me also the first time I had the pleasure to enjoy the band live on stage, so every song -old or new one- they played was a new experience for me. In that context it was a great setlist, an interesting mixture between old and new stuff. A night to remember...

Here are the pics (about 50). It's a rather large file (pics in original format) :

http://rapidshare.com/files/105294570/Arena_Ittervoort_April_04_2008.rar

btw please share your pictures... 

jaak56

for the other pics:  see  http://www.myspace.com/jaakgeebelen
there are 3 fotoalbums of this gig

enjoy!!

Jaak

JJ II

What a marvellous set of pictures!

They are among the best I've ever seen of the band (and I've seen a lot over the last 13 years!).

What kind of camera do you use?

debsss

He Jaak,

You have made some really really nice pics!!! Ther next thing I'll do when I get home is take a look at the other pics, because I can't now while my computer is locked for those sites  >:( >:( :( They don't allow a lot here at( at my job). But I will take my time to look at the pictures.... Hope to see me back again with my friend  ;D *horns* *horns*

AnsOnkruid

Wow, Jaak, those pics are really beautiful  :o !!

maddox

Quote from: AnsOnkruid on Mon, 2008-04-07, 15:25:36
Wow, Jaak, those pics are really beautiful  :o !!

I definitely second that!

Nice job, Jaak.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

jaak56

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2008-04-07, 13:20:29

What kind of camera do you use?

Thx for the picscomments
I'have a canon 30d.   It's a good camera, but the 5d is much better for this kind of work...........

PH

Great photos Zeno and Jaak!! :o :o
But what happened to Clive?
I thought he has become 'half the man he used to be', but in Jaak's first photo we can clearly see the evidence of a fully restored Clive.
Found the JD again? ;D

-Paco

bluepony

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

bluepony

A Polish liqueur based on vodka and honey. Horrible stuff...! ;D

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

bluepony

Oh, I don't drink it (very often) - I stayed with JD.

PH

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2008-04-08, 22:19:02
What's Krupnik ???

I remember something about a Krup neck.
Anyone help me out with this one?

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-04-08, 23:03:15
I remember something about a Krup neck.
Anyone help me out with this one?

It's gotten a bit late, Paxi, hasnt it ?  Maybe bedtime ?

Nighty night  (too tired to move to right topic) !

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Lake of despond

Actually it's the lemon which gives such a nice flavour to Krupnik ;)

Great setlist indeed, pity I couldn't hear Moviedrome live... ::)

bluepony

Quote from: Zeno on Sun, 2008-04-06, 17:27:58
Here are the pics (about 50). It's a rather large file (pics in original format) :

http://rapidshare.com/files/105294570/Arena_Ittervoort_April_04_2008.rar
Sadly, I cannot open that file.  :'(

Zeno